The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people had the old version of photon customized for freshwater but I wanted to know what the thoughts on these lights are.

Every single color is on its own channel for a total of 6 channels and can be set on hourly intervals for whatever kind of ramping you want. This is very attractive to me, not having to use some standard ramping time. Spread looks to be amazing as well gets 24" depth of coverage with a single light.

Since its a reef based light, there is way more blue than will ever be needed but since each light can be controlled individually, I wanted to know if it could be usable as a FW light. I'd like the flexibility of switching to a reef setup in the future if I wanted w/o having to pay for another light.

From there site :

The exact dimming channel breakdown is as follows: Channel 1; 2 Osram 660nm Deep Red. Channel 2; 2 Semi LED 520nm Green. Channel 3; 12 Cree XT-E 450nm Royal Blue. Channel 4: 10 Cree XT-E 5500K Neutral White. Channel 5: 8 Cree XP-E 480nm Cool Blue. Channel 6: 10 Semi LED 420nm Violet, for a total of 44 5 watt and 3 watt LEDs. Each light includes 120 degree optics on the reds/greens, and 90 degree optics on the remaining LEDs.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
I know some people had the old version of photon customized for freshwater but I wanted to know what the thoughts on these lights are.

Every single color is on its own channel for a total of 6 channels and can be set on hourly intervals for whatever kind of ramping you want. This is very attractive to me, not having to use some standard ramping time. Spread looks to be amazing as well gets 24" depth of coverage with a single light.

Since its a reef based light, there is way more blue than will ever be needed but since each light can be controlled individually, I wanted to know if it could be usable as a FW light. I'd like the flexibility of switching to a reef setup in the future if I wanted w/o having to pay for another light.

From there site :

The exact dimming channel breakdown is as follows: Channel 1; 2 Osram 660nm Deep Red. Channel 2; 2 Semi LED 520nm Green. Channel 3; 12 Cree XT-E 450nm Royal Blue. Channel 4: 10 Cree XT-E 5500K Neutral White. Channel 5: 8 Cree XP-E 480nm Cool Blue. Channel 6: 10 Semi LED 420nm Violet, for a total of 44 5 watt and 3 watt LEDs. Each light includes 120 degree optics on the reds/greens, and 90 degree optics on the remaining LEDs.
according to Logan at Reefbreeders (personal correspondence) he is open to customization for fw..
Only current problem (for me).. no cyan available.

wouldn't be hard to adjust a few things though..
1; 2 Osram 660nm Deep Red. (save)
2; 2 Semi LED 520nm Green. (save opt.)

3; 12 Cree XT-E 450nm Royal Blue.
Do 8/4 rb/blue

4: 10 Cree XT-E 5500K Neutral White

5: 8 Cree XP-E 480nm Cool Blue.
Do 8 CREE ww

6: 10 Semi LED 420nm Violet ((??? lots of wasted power here, need Logans input on substitution. Some is fine 10??? May not be changeable)

just off the top of my head..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
according to Logan at Reefbreeders (personal correspondence) he is open to customization for fw..
Only current problem (for me).. no cyan available.

wouldn't be hard to adjust a few things though..
1; 2 Osram 660nm Deep Red. (save)
2; 2 Semi LED 520nm Green. (save opt.)

3; 12 Cree XT-E 450nm Royal Blue.
Do 8/4 rb/blue

4: 10 Cree XT-E 5500K Neutral White

5: 8 Cree XP-E 480nm Cool Blue.
Do 8 CREE ww

6: 10 Semi LED 420nm Violet ((??? lots of wasted power here, need Logans input on substitution. Some is fine 10??? May not be changeable)

just off the top of my head..
Thanks for your input! Do you think this would provide a better option than say 2 aquatic life halos? I'm looking for a fixture on for a 48" x 20" x 20" tank and I'm turned off from pendant lights due to shading issues with spot lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.