The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to use reed/sedge peat in their tank? I was looking at different products and local shops sell an aquatic substrate for backyard ponds that is made up of mostly reed/sedge peat. According to this website, this peat has a ph of 4.5 to 7. 4.5 is obviously too low for anything I'd grow, but Aquarium Science says that almost all submerged soils will balance out at 6 to 7 after six weeks. Which is fine if that holds true. My main concern is the cap not being fine enough and the peat leaching out giving the water a consistent brown haze even after months of water changes. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My tank currently is DynaDirt (reed sedge peat) capped with BDBS and has been running since last spring. Working great for me, I would just recommend you put some type of soil retainer over it to keep it down and prevent anything from surfacing while moving plants around in the future. My cap is also pretty thick, prob around 2-3” of the BDBS.
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Houseplant Pet supply

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Did you ever have any problem with water discoloration? To cap the peet, I’m going to use 1 to 2” of Midnight Pearl by Pisces. It’s 2-4mm, so finer than most gravel substrates, but larger than sand. I used black diamond in the past. It worked, but this time I’m looking for a bit of natural looking color variation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
After about a week, I have some tannin staining. However, I’m not sure if that’s the large piece of redmoor root I have in there or the dirt. Either way, it’s minimal and a weekly water change resets it back. I run high light and CO2 with this tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts