The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my Eheim 2217 in my ADA 60p yesterday with the lily pipes

H*LY SH*T the flow was WAYY to fast, it even unrooted some HC :(

I managed to minimize the flow by closing the valves on the tubing a bit, but I am afraid it might damage the motor if I keep it like that too long...

Can it actually happen? Should I just change my filter for something smaller?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Could maybe aim holes on spray bar (rotate) so that they are pointing backward's toward's the glass ?
Don't think this would be good idea with CO2 injection where flow is needed for even distribution but could not hurt anything otherwise.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Don't adjust the intake valve, just the output valve. I've run a 2217 that way for 6 months with no problems.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've read on other posts that if you *have* to adjust the valves do it on the output, but that may put extra strain on your motor. The best way is to just increase the size of the spraybar holes, I just used a 1/4" drill bit and that made a big difference for me. Having good flow is important, but as long as it's not uprooting stuff :)

Sorry I just saw that you're using a lily pipe, you can try using a poppy bowl, you can find on ebay for cheap, allows for high flow with less impact for planted tanks.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Don't worry about harming the motor. That is old thinking. If you had a motor with metal wire wound on the armature, it could over heat to the point of melting the insulation on those wires. The motor "burns out".
But that is not what your filter uses. It uses a mag drive motor. Short for magnet? Instead of wire, your motor has a magnet attached to the impeller. For your motor to "burn out", it would have to get hot enough to melt the magnet and that just isn't going to happen to a motor setting in water.
You are likely to have read about folks who have come home to find the filter is not running because the impeller is stuck? That might be called the extreme in "straining" the motor and even that does not harm the motor. They just have to free up the impeller so it runs again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts