The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I have a 75 Gallon tank which held oscars. The oscars got something, and stopped eating. I tried my best, and the last one has died. I loved my oscars, but they were too messy, and I'm sorry to have them die, but here my chance to start fresh.

I have some experience with planted tanks. I currently am running two 10 gallon moderately planted tanks, and one 5.5 gallon planted shrimp tank. The thing is that I'm lost in going large scale planted. This is what I currently have in my 75 gallon.

Basic 4 foot long (two 24" bulbs) light canopy
50 - 75 pounds of Regular "river rock" small gravel
Three random large chunks of drift wood
whisper 3 HOB
Penguin 300 HOB
Eheim Pro 2026?? Canister
AC #301 powerhead with quick filter attachment

I'm trying to use as much of the old stuff as I can. I am willing to change out the gravel to something else, I'm thinking maybe PFS. I know that the stock canopy is [email protected], but I am trying to keep that. What I want to have at the end point is a low light low maintenance tank. Something where I will not need to fert. Also, the tank is in my parents basement, and they like watching the "personality" of the oscars that were in there before.

Would I be able to get away with growing anything besides mosses on that setup? What's some good low light plants that might survive? What fish should I look at? I was thinking Angels, or Rams. I think they would be bored with a large school of either Cardinals or Rasboras. The thing also, is that with any of these fish, I would need to have the tank at least moderately planted to make them comfortable.

Maybe I should just get some sorta cichlids again and forgo the large scale planted tank?

Lastly, how do I "clean" out the tank? I want to wash out the tank and gravel to kill anything that might be left after the oscars deaths. Bleach? Vinagar?

Definately wash out all the filters (will have to recycle obviously). If I wash out the Efi-mech and Efi-strat, can I reuse, or get rid of it and get all new media?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
My suggestion as far as livestock goes would be to get a medium school of a smaller fish (i believe the term is dither fish?) and then a few larger fish with "personality". Of course you need to make sure that the fish are compatible, so no angels with cardinals and the like. In a 75, the rams would get lost and would be hard to see at any given point, so if choosing between rams and angels, you may want to think about the angels a little harder.

As far as cleaning: all of the above. Bleach in a 10:1 solution will kill anything alive in there, combined with vinegar to get at some of the hard water deposits will clean it up pretty well. Just make sure to rinse all the chemicals out really well before housing anything in there.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been looking around at other people's tanks and their journals. I've always like koi angels, so I might go that route. Maybe buy 6 juvis and let them grow out and hopefully pair off?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Oscars, they are awsome fish. To clean the tank, a solution of bleach and water would work. If you DO get other cichlids, (maybe Convicts?) try using anubias, java fern and mabey some crypts for plants. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've been looking around at other people's tanks and their journals. I've always like koi angels, so I might go that route. Maybe buy 6 juvis and let them grow out and hopefully pair off?
I think they would love that 75! Angels are very funny fish to watch and interact with. They definitely have that personality that you're looking for. My angels used to come up and beg for food every time i came near the tank, and would try to eat my fingers if i stuck them in the tank.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about the Oscars, they are awsome fish. To clean the tank, a solution of bleach and water would work. If you DO get other cichlids, (maybe Convicts?) try using anubias, java fern and mabey some crypts for plants. Good Luck!
Funny thing you would mention convicts, because that what I had in a 30 gallon before I took that one down, and gave away the 100+ that I housed in there from the original 5 I got from another friend.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'd go with the angels. You could fit 4 of them comfortably in there, with some other fish as well. Cory catfish would be a good choice; they are very active and have lots of personality.

I wouldn't do convicts in a planted tank. I know some people have done it successfully, but when I tried it, they tore up all the plants, dug up everything, and rearranged any wood and rocks they could move.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
In a 75gl, you could do the whole Angel thing if you sold off the remaining unpaired ones. Just remember angels get to be a good size, so I wouldn't do more than a pair.
For plants, you could get away with anubias sp. Microsoreum (java fern), and crypts. All those plants will do fine with lower light levels. As for fish, you could still do the Cardinal tetras if you wanted to, just make sure you get them big enough. Cardinals can be found in the 1.5inch range easily if you look hard enough. But why do cardinals if you have options. Everyone and their brother is into the cardinals, lol. Get something unique and under-used. In low light set ups, Cardinals, and any fish that have that latent glow to the look amazing. I would suggest Black Neons, or any other simple fish with that latent hidden 'glow'. In a 75 though, you could do Black Neons and Cards if you were still wanting to have cardinals though.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe Java Moss and Java ferns, some koi angels, I have some rotola from my other tank that I can put there also.. Hmm.. Now to clean it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts