The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have green, brown and green mixed with brown crypts in my tank (mostly wendtii varieties). I would like to add a reddish toned crypt into the mix. Does anyone have any suggestions? Medium light, soft water, no CO2.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've just started a tank with Crypt Undulata,

..although in this tank they're throwing a lot of rather bright green new growth. I figure as they get established they'll get the red and brown veination and reddish leaf undersides.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I have green, brown and green mixed with brown crypts in my tank (mostly wendtii varieties). I would like to add a reddish toned crypt into the mix. Does anyone have any suggestions? Medium light, soft water, no CO2.
Hi Tessa,

Most of the reddish cryptocorynes will show their best 'reds' with at least medium light, sometimes higher. I like Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Florida Sunset', it is easy to grow but to get the best color higher light levels (PAR) is needed.

That said a 'reddish' colored plants, no matter what the species, would look as red as they actually are unless the light spectrum from the source (i.e. LED or florescent tube) has sufficient output in the red spectrum for the light to reflect off of the plant surface and back to your eye. I have some C. wendtii that don't look that red in the tanks but have very good color in 'daylight'.

C. wendtii 'Florida Sunset'

C. wendtii 'Red' (preparing for shipment)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. Right now I have a red tiger lotus (lovely pink-red) between the crypts, but the crypts are slowly killing it, so I'm looking for something to replace it.

And yes, the lotus is going into a different, crypt free tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.