The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 long set up with guppies, bumble bee platies, red wag platies (RWP), 2 otos, 1 pygmy cory and RCS. I have java moss, subwassertang, plenty of floating plants as well as various stem plants….i.e. lots of hiding places.
I have seen the guppies and bumble bee platies go from fry to adult but not the red wag platies…
The Red wag platies- I have 2 females and 2 males. Both females seem to always be pregnant-the one is ginormous right now…..
Question1: are their fry that much slower than the others that they don’t survive?
Question2: are they born with the red coloring or does develop over time? (I see some fry with black fins and tail markings)
Question3: do they deliver a % of their brood at a time? You know- release some offspring and then 2 weeks later release some more?
I cant understand why I do not see any RWP’s….its upsetting because I like the RWP more than the others and they’re not re-producing…….

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't think I know the answers to all your questions, but might know some. The platies could be eating their young, or the other fish eat them. Many times with platy fry they will not come out with much color, that can develop over time. On the other hand, I have a black & red tuxedo that came out that way; all his peers developed color over time, but he is still the most colorful.

Liverbearers, especially platies and swordtails do sometimes deliver part of a brood at one point and more later. That is difficult to understand, but some of the eggs have not hatched and must be at different maturity levels.

If you have the space and interest, devote a cycled tank to those females for delivery. Make sure you've got some hiding spots for the fry. Once recovered, remove the mothers (or section them away from the fry) and see if that helps you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts