The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess my new project will be watching these guys over the winter. They're juvies, and you can see they're red, as compared to a cherry I put in the pic. I suspect it's a juvenile coloration that doesn't last, but it's pretty while it's here, isn't it? From a tank of "wild tigers" or "super tigers" I've been cooking for a couple years.

DK

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
are any available for purchasing?

Red tigers are a natural occurrence and will stay red no matter what food you feed. They are a different color variation from china I think from the regular tiger shrimp. Where did you get them from?

Simon

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I sort of just throw 'em whatever food I'm feeding for the day. A lot of Hikari sinking wafers, and then I also feed flake and boiled veggies such as broccoli, spinach, dandelion leaves, clover, zucchini. Whatever I have, basically.

These guys were in a forgotten, neglected tank in the weeds and I never paid them any attention until I went to empty the tank the other day. I'm breaking down my first generation invert rack because I now have the stuff for the third generation and I need to recycle real estate to set it up.

I don't know if it's juvie coloring or stress coloring or what, so I'll be watching them over the winter in a show tank where I can see them better. I have maybe half dozen of this morph that I pulled out. They were in water that was not meeting their micronutrient needs, and now that they are in more suitable water, this could disappear. So I quickly took the pictures because I thought these were rather pretty.

The pictures aren't juiced; they have sort of tomato red stripes on them. I wish I had a better camera.

I will work on this line over the winter and see what happens by spring. Shrimp have taught me not to promise out into the future. There is nothing that whacks hubris quite like the crash of a shrimp tank.

I'm going to try to attach a poor picture that shows a red and a normal next to each other. It's not a good picture, but does show the difference. I should add that most of the reds I found are not tiny; they are approaching half inch or more size.

DK

·
Registered
801 Posts
Very nice, hopefully they stay red for you! On another forum I read about someone getting some wild stock Red Tigers from a LFS, but the markings turned dark once they matured. I recently imported some true Red Tigers from Germany, but alas, they did not last (probably due to 3-week-transit shipping stress >.<) An early congrats if you are able to carry this line :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your shrimp are beautiful. What other varieties of shrimp are you keeping now?

dxiong5 - I'm sorry to hear that your red tigers didn't make it.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Your shrimp are beautiful. What other varieties of shrimp are you keeping now?
It's Pat, right?

I currently raise
  • Crystal reds and blacks Cs up to Mosura (3 tanks)
  • Blue Tigers (3 tanks)
  • Cherries
  • Yellows
  • Super/Wild Tigers
  • Chocolates (wild-type cherries with chocolate brown females & cafe-au-lait back stripes)

I'm in the process of tearing down my v 1.0 invert rack to re-use the space for my v 3.0 invert rack (v 2.0 is in different real estate, but set up currently) and am toying with the idea of running a hard water rack system. I just figured out how I'd do it... been thinking about it a few years; my native water is extremely soft. If I decide to do this, I'll likely add Malayan shrimp (I happen to like them for the colors) and possibly dark greens or one or two other species.

I got lucky and was able to shoot one up against the front glass last night.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, it's Pat. Sounds like you have a lot going on! I love the Malayan shrimp too! I have a group of Dark greens in a soft water tank and am seeing shrimplettes as well as a group in a hard water tank. One of the folks I bought from kept his DG in the same parameters as he kept his tigers and the others are wild caught. I would love to see some more pictures of your shrimp. :icon_wink As well as pictures of your rack system.
It's Pat, right?

I currently raise
  • Crystal reds and blacks Cs up to Mosura (3 tanks)
  • Blue Tigers (3 tanks)
  • Cherries
  • Yellows
  • Super/Wild Tigers
  • Chocolates (wild-type cherries with chocolate brown females & cafe-au-lait back stripes)

I'm in the process of tearing down my v 1.0 invert rack to re-use the space for my v 3.0 invert rack (v 2.0 is in different real estate, but set up currently) and am toying with the idea of running a hard water rack system. I just figured out how I'd do it... been thinking about it a few years; my native water is extremely soft. If I decide to do this, I'll likely add Malayan shrimp (I happen to like them for the colors) and possibly dark greens or one or two other species.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would love to see some more pictures of your shrimp. :icon_wink As well as pictures of your rack system.
I think I can only post three pics per post, so here goes:

The shrimp pictures were shot by our Diceroller00 on TPT (used with permission), who is local to me. He came and did a bunch of tank work in exchange for shrimp, and these are pics of his shrimp he took home, in his tanks. My tanks are production tanks and are not set up for access or lighting for decent pictures, and my camera has issues, too, so most my pictures aren't very good, unless taken from one of my show tanks. The third picture is invert rack v 2.0 - this is the back of it, as the front is just plain.

DK

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanks Pat. Maybe when they weather warms up and I'm feeling risky again, I'll seek another order of Red Tigers. Until then, :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
greenisgood: Thanks for the pictures!!! That makes good sense to have access to the front and back of the tanks. Your shrimp are beautiful!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On another forum I read about someone getting some wild stock Red Tigers from a LFS, but the markings turned dark once they matured.
I believe this to be true.

Hopefully, I can answer this in a month or two, at least for the ones I have.

DK

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great stuff! I am really excited to see that you have red tigers. Hopefully their colors stay red for you. I really like the rack system you have, it's really great!

Keep us all updated with your red tigers. This thread is looking great.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any chance you start breeding Sulawesi Shrimp?
Every time I think about this question, I conclude no. But who knows...

Once I get 3.0 up and running, I'll see in what areas I get itchy. You know us hobbyists, we get itchy in areas and follow them...

;)

DK

1 - 17 of 17 Posts