The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I really want a red tiger lotus in my tank but when I bought one it just wilted and died. :(

Can you all please give me some information on this plant? Is it supposedly easy to grow and maintain? Are there any special planting instructions or tips? Are my tank conditions adequate: 72 gallon @ 80F (discus), excel dosing a couple times a week, PFS substrate w/flourish tabs as needed, and 104 watts T5 HO.

Thanks so much!

Yasmin

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Root tabs plus regular dosage of excel and Seachem Flourish should grow this plant just fine. Though this plant really thrives with EI dosing, CO2 injection, and high light. It probably sends out a new daughter plant for me every 3-4 weeks. Sometimes 2 at a time if I don't trim the huge leaves. It also stays low in the conditions I stated above.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Root tabs plus regular dosage of excel and Seachem Flourish should grow this plant just fine. Though this plant really thrives with EI dosing, CO2 injection, and high light. It probably sends out a new daughter plant for me every 3-4 weeks. Sometimes 2 at a time if I don't trim the huge leaves. It also stays low in the conditions I stated above.
Hi Speedy,
After you trim the tiger lotus leaves, can the stem be replanted again?

K.C

·
Registered
567 Posts
No, the stems on tiger lotus won't re-root like regular stem plants. It has to have the bulb at the bottom to grow. For some reason it is a plant I've never had a lot of luck with either.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I found that they don't like to be moved around a lot. They're quick at melting.

First one I bought was a bulb .... that never sprouted despite the claims of the seller and just rotted away. Second one took. Third, which was a RAOK melted. Same conditions .... it just depends. Just because you lost one doesn't mean you can't grow one. Try another.

They seem to be heavy root feeders and will grow like gang-busters with root tabs

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your responses all!

I have some follow up questions:

1 - The bulb should be planted totally submerged in the substrate?
2 - If the plant melts but the bulb is still in tact, does it have a chance of sending out new leaves from the bulb? If so what time frame?

Thanks again! I love smart planted tankers! :proud:

Yasmin

·
Registered
75 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. Cause I got the same plant in my new set-up tank.
The plant bulb have to be planted totally submerged in the substrate.
If you need to trim away melting leaves,cut it at the bottom,leaving around 1 inch from the bulb. New leaves will come out,but can't tell you how long it takes. It all depend on your set-up.
If the whole plant melt,then remove it.
JMHO

K.C

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Yasmeena,

You have enough light. One of the early posts gave you the info you need - adding root tabs, Excel...

Mine is growing well in a 84g tank, here are the specifics:
  • 108w T5 HO
  • substrate is flourite (nothing special)
  • Pfertz root tabs (Flourish tabs are good too)
  • Injected CO2 @ 20ppm
  • Liquid micro and nitrogen/potassium ferts
Mine really took off when I put a pair of root tabs on either side of it. I'd say that you have the basics. Add some root tabs and it you don;t inject CO2, dose with Excel and you'll be fine. Just make sure it is in a location that isn't shaded by decorations or other plants.

Here's mine at 8 weeks. Most of the growth has come in the last 2 weeks after moving it out of a partially shaded area and placing two tabs near it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but, is a Dwarf Lilly the same as a Tiger Lotus? I ask only because they look the same as the picture above.

I have a Dwarf Lilly (at least that is what the pet shop guy said).

Lissette:smile:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.