The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago, I received a beautiful red tiger lotus in a trade. The leaves were a very soft pink color, very pastel.

Over the last week or so, they've darkened into a deep red mixed with green, and developed a glossy look.

I don't know if it's healthy or dying a slow death. Help?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
No problem - it's quite healthy - that's the way the colors sometimes develop. They'll grow on you, and you may find the look really appeals to you in time.
It's really a matter of personal preference about colors.
I love those plants and have had many of them over the years.

Here's one small example - lower right - a young red tiger lotus I was trying to 'cultivate' to get different coloration. But I do have several other examples too.

RSSs3013-2.jpg Photo by discuspaul | Photobucket

Here's another example - different tank - different set of fish - different time.
2 Red Tiger lotuses - each a little different in coloration.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I don't mind the coloration, I rather like the darker glossy color, I was just worried I was killing it. I don't know the strength of my light or anything, but my lotus seems to be healthy (thank you) and it's helping a near-dead cabomba plant come back, so I guess it's enough!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was informed by her previous owner (are all of them female? is there sexual dimorphism? or just called "her"?) that if I let the leaves reach the surface all the lovely lower leaves will stop being produced.

I had an idea for a tank where one or two lotus could reach the surface and I'd have a few below that I wouldn't allow to, but I'm not sure how that would look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.