The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya folks - how have you been?

So I just kind of got back to the hobby with a little more budget now, so I got a 30 gal going with the following parameter:

Sub: Flourite:peat:Sand 2:1:1

DIY CO2 generator: I have not created a more sophisticated delivery system yet so it is just air stoning into my filter right now. Hopefully I will either set up a bubble counter or something later this week.

Light: 2x PowerGlow 18,000 k - 24w + 2x old (as in not used for a while, not an aged bulb) CoralLife 14 W T5... so that's about 2.53 w/g

No animals yet... well, at least nothing that are visible to our naked eyes.

Plants:

3x pots Micro Swords
4x stalks of Bacopa australis
a small bunch of Staurogyne repens

and 3 Tiger Lotus Bulbs (My current main concern)

Now... the good thing is that they all have sprouted (came unsprouted) and looks this:

http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/736x/2c/7b/39/2c7b3929b6d936783e8f3ff90322a3d9.jpg

If for some reason it does not work... this should do.

Now my main questions are:

- Are these sprouts the roots or leaves? In other words should I leave them oriented upwards or unto the substrate they go? Now I dropped them randomly in the tank and 2 developed spouts downwards and 1 going up... should i just let them be?

- I give one bulb its own part of the tank, and kind of group the other 2 on the other side, about 1.5 inches part, the swords and other plants surrounding them and are about at least 2 inches away... so will allelopathy be an issue? For the 2 bulbs together I plan to keep 1 submerge and perhaps the other with floating leaves. Will this be an issue between the lotuses (loti?) themselves - how about the other plants? If there is a risk, I am more than pleased to move one to another tank as it grows.

- The other plants look alright - there are some yellow leaves on the swords, but they came like that - should I trim them?

- The Bacopa seems to have peat particles stuck to their stems and leaves at first I thought this was algae but at closer examination, it seems that the fine hair that this plant has traps some of the residue... will this be a matter of concern? Some of the leaves are not as green as I want them to be, but again, they were shipped here a few days ago in this condition.

- Any other issues can you find in my tank parameters?

Thanks so much for your help, I hope my leaping back into this hobby will be a smooth one.

· Registered
588 Posts
I would wait to let them grow out a bit. When they mature and reproduce, they send floating bulbs out that roam the aquarium and sprout leaves first. Roots usually come after being put into the substrate. I now have six full plants in my tank and have put multiples in other tanks, also given a few away. All from one green and one red bulb. My favorite plants by far.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi pantherspawn, I am still not sure about the orientation that I should leave the bulbs - should I just let them sprout into the substrate or into the water column? That is my burning question.

Thanks-

N

· Registered
1,458 Posts
Are these sprouts the roots or leaves?
- above picture shows leaves. You seem to have them orientated correctly. Just let them be. The most critical thing is to keep stable tank parameters, in terms of water changes maintain a constant water temp, otherwise it might go dormant.

I give one bulb its own part of the tank, and kind of group the other 2 on the other side, about 1.5 inches part, the swords and other plants surrounding them and are about at least 2 inches away... so will allelopathy be an issue? For the 2 bulbs together I plan to keep 1 submerge and perhaps the other with floating leaves. Will this be an issue between the lotuses (loti?) themselves - how about the other plants? If there is a risk, I am more than pleased to move one to another tank as it grows.
- The big issue will be the competition for light, so they will shoot runners if they can't get it by creeping substrate coverage.

The other plants look alright - there are some yellow leaves on the swords, but they came like that - should I trim them?
- Always trim to keep bushiness, otherwise plants will become stemmy.

The Bacopa seems to have peat particles stuck to their stems and leaves at first I thought this was algae but at closer examination, it seems that the fine hair that this plant has traps some of the residue... will this be a matter of concern?
- Not really

Any other issues can you find in my tank parameters?
- I haven't used peat, so pH stability might be an issue if you use Distilled or RO water, or you have low hardness/carbonate water. I would use 100% pure peat moss, not the miracle grow heavily mineralized/fertilizer type. Consider a Cerges or pwrhead with venture port for CO2 diffusion.

· Registered
588 Posts
Hi pantherspawn, I am still not sure about the orientation that I should leave the bulbs - should I just let them sprout into the substrate or into the water column? That is my burning question.

Thanks-

N
The leaves will sprout before the roots, in any case I've seen. So whatever is sprouting, I would orient It towards the light.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi patherspawn,

Awesome, they are getting taller (and redder) so that comforts me.

On the hardness - since I still dont have any fish yet, should I do an almost complete water change with purified water?

AirstoND, do you happen to know a DIY manual for the
pwrhead with venture port for CO2 diffusion.
I think I ran across one years ago but can't find it anywhere anymore.

Thanks!

· Registered
588 Posts
Hi patherspawn,

Awesome, they are getting taller (and redder) so that comforts me.

On the hardness - since I still dont have any fish yet, should I do an almost complete water change with purified water?

Thanks!
I'm assuming you're trying to start a cycle?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No it is completed. I did a 50% change with R/O water and all the plants seem to be very happy now :) all the bulbs have sprouted and will move some of them to another tank soon. The sprouts colors are not consistent though, sometimes red, green or even brown - is that a potential source of concern?

I got a ceramic CO2 diffuser right underneath the intake so right on :)

Thanks.

· Registered
588 Posts
The tiger lotus can be red or green, there's no way to tell which Colo they will be by the bulb. So there's no real concern there. I have both, and they look great together. As you can see, seperate in the first pic, and intertwined in the second and third.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.