The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a red tail shark in a tank with 6 tetra 2 ottos 1 molly in 20 gallon tank. For about 3-4 weeks now the red tail has been sluggish and sometimes I see him trying to rest around at the bottom. I dont understand how he can look so vibrant one minute then close to death the other.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For starters, the aquarium is too small for the Red Tail Shark.

In any case, do you have water parameters?
I am still new to this, what do you mean by parameters?

I was thinking the pH might be too high, its definetly in the 7.4-8.0 region and I know that the red tail is supposed to be around 6.5-7.5

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I am setting up a 75 gallon tank very soon but I was thinking about putting a few discus in if anything and I doubt a red tail would fair well with discus fish. I guess I am going to have to give him up for adoption to save him?
If you are newer to the fish keeping Hobby i would say try and stay away from discus until you have it down, they are expensive and needy fish (finiky about paramaters and food and such), i would suggest starting with Angels or something Easyer to maintain.

And by paramaters it's meant PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites and GH ( I think im missing some but you can maybey find those elsewhere, these seem to be the most important). Also some tank specs are useful but not always needed, size usually is when talking about fish like Red Tails and such

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are newer to the fish keeping Hobby i would say try and stay away from discus until you have it down, they are expensive and needy fish (finiky about paramaters and food and such), i would suggest starting with Angels or something Easyer to maintain.

And by paramaters it's meant PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites and GH ( I think im missing some but you can maybey find those elsewhere, these seem to be the most important). Also some tank specs are useful but not always needed, size usually is when talking about fish like Red Tails and such
the pH is high 7's, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrates. 70-76 degrees Fahrenheit.

As for the new tank, I don't plan on getting discus anytime soon. I want to slowly get my tank set up from ground up, I am learning first how to assemble and maintain my eheim 2217. I plan on starting off with plants, making them grow and keeping them healthy then I wanted to get a school of something and keep it at 5-6, all within the next year or two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts