The Planted Tank Forum banner

Red Tail Shark Question

997 4
I have a red tail shark, two australian rainbowfish, and a blue ram in my tank. I purchases the RTS about two-three weeks ago, and it wasn't aggressive at all. However, I've seen the RTS shoo away fish from it's territory a lot now. I am going to (planning on) adding about 8 tiger barbs to the tank (45 gallons).
I also have a 10 gallon tank with two cory catfish and another blue ram which I am planning on reintroducing to the 45 gallon tank.

The question is, should I take the shark back to the lfs, or should I see how it interacts with the other fish before deciding?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Red tails will eventually grow to large for that tank may take a year or 2 but I have heard of them getting to 10+ inches. If you are planning on adding other fish I would take him back now before you get to attached.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Red tail sharks can be aggressive. It will be fine with the tiger barbs since they're semi-aggressive as well. It will probably be OK with the rams, too. RTS can be very food aggressive, also, so I'd say it's a no-no with corys.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Red tails will eventually grow to large for that tank may take a year or 2 but I have heard of them getting to 10+ inches. If you are planning on adding other fish I would take him back now before you get to attached.
Are you thinking of the same fish? Epalzeorhynchos bicolor? I'd say 5-6" is much closer to the average length.

4 foot tanks are better but it can be done. Probably not a good fit with corys and other bottom dwellers...rams might be iffy.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Is this the same one you were asking questions about the other day that's only an inch or two in size right now? If so, I can all but guarantee that any aggression you see now is only going to amplify as it gets bigger. I would either take him back, or take back the cories and rams so he has at least the bottom part o the tank all too himself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.