The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you reckon are better for community tanks ?.
Their seems to be no clear answer to which is better o what are your experiences with them.

I lost my rainbow shark a few months ago, new tank and he found the whole in the lid one night, poor bugger. However now i have a shark shaped hole in my fish tank to fill. He was pretty docile, and was great. But i do like the look of red tailed sharks a bit more, but ive read they can be a bit more aggressive. The tank is a 5ft comunity tank with neons, angels, congo tetras, phantom tetras, corys and rams. I did recently add two siamese algae eaters in their as well.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Rainbow shark is indeed said to be less aggressive than red tail ,but considering how agressive the Red tail sharks can be ,I feel that less aggressive is like lesser of two evil's.
I have kept the red tail's, and cory's and Ram's would not be what I would choose for tankmates for they tend to frequent the substrate as does the red tail.
Cannot speak to the rainbow shark for I have not kept them.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
They are particularly aggressive to related fish, often (but not always) with 'Shark' in their name. This includes SAE. They usually establish their territory around a cave or arch in the wood or similar hiding place, and can be pretty pushy about the area in front of it.

I would go with the Rainbow, not the Red Tail, and watch it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.