The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've got a 20 gallon long tank, with 8 peppered corys and 8 chili rasbora, as well as some snails and shrimp. Today I noticed one of my corys has a small red spot behind one of his fins, right were it attaches to his body. I've googled a bunch of stuff, but can't find anything that seems similar. Temp is 75-76, levels are 0/0/5-10. He's acting normally, eating fine, swimming around. I tried to take some pictures but they suck a little because he never stops moving. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Is it just that one fish, one spot (not both pectoral fins), and not any other red marks anywhere?

I'm thinking it's just a physical injury and should heal fine on it's own with clean water and time.

Didn't you have another thread of a cory getting stuck in some wood? How is that one doing?
Maybe this one also got stuck there, but managed to free himself, although hurting himself in the process. It could of got hurt on any hard or sharp surface really.

Just observe daily for any signs of worsening.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it just that one fish, one spot (not both pectoral fins), and not any other red marks anywhere?

I'm thinking it's just a physical injury and should heal fine on it's own with clean water and time.

Didn't you have another thread of a cory getting stuck in some wood? How is that one doing?
Maybe this one also got stuck there, but managed to free himself, although hurting himself in the process. It could of got hurt on any hard or sharp surface really.

Just observe daily for any signs of worsening.
Hey, good memory! I did have one get stuck. That one is totally fine now. I cut all the cholla wood in half length-wise so they couldn't get stuck again. I have some rocks and a big piece of driftwood. Maybe he scraped himself on something. Thanks for the reply. Glad it's not something gross like a parasite or something! Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
From where the red spot is located, it doesn't quite match a parasitic symptom I know of. Any injuries and weakened fish are more vulnerable to infections, so do keep checking on it daily to see if things improve or get worse, as opportunistic secondary infections are possible. Keep the water clean and all should be fine. But there still is a chance it may be something more than just a simple physical injury, so keep an eye on it just to be sure (worsening or more symptoms would indicate something is wrong).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From where the red spot is located, it doesn't quite match a parasitic symptom I know of. Any injuries and weakened fish are more vulnerable to infections, so do keep checking on it daily to see if things improve or get worse, as opportunistic secondary infections are possible. Keep the water clean and all should be fine. But there still is a chance it may be something more than just a simple physical injury, so keep an eye on it just to be sure (worsening or more symptoms would indicate something is wrong).
I'm probably just being overly paranoid. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.