The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have a Red Sea 500 reactor attached to my new pressurized CO2 system and thought I'd share some info.

I read a few negative reviews here and thought I'd pass on that I haven't had any negatives with it.

Some of the cons:
-It is visible in the aquarium, but I've parked it behind some plants and its black color doesn't show up so much against the black background.
-it requires two "lines" into the aquarium - power and CO2

Some pros:
- it keeps CO2 and Filtration systems completely seperate which seems just alittle more troublefree than integrated solutions.
- no bubbles. No CO2 bubbles, mist, etc... in the tank.
- Quiet. No burping, no gurgling, no gas bubble noises.

So far so good to me. Before I got my SuMo regulator last week, I did blow the bottom off of the reactor with my paintball system. THe coarse adjustments of that systems sent an initial burst of CO2 that "exploded" into the reactor forcing the removable bottom off of the reactor. Scared me and the fish :)

Since that single, no impact incident it has been fine. The vortex swirls steadily, even adds a little interest as my kids (3 and 7) are enjoying the "science" in the tank project and love to check the CO2 system. CO2 is definitely being added to the tank now. Plant growth has definitely accelerated. I am slowly increasing CO2 rate. I'm currently at 3 bps and according to my drop checker am not at 30ppm yet. So I'll increase to 4bps this week and see what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPPWD-6VMH4

To me the only question that reamins on this unit is how much CO2 it can deliver before maxing out. 3bps no problem, 4bps to try this week.

AB

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I had one and it seemed to work fine for a while. Issues I had:

1. Over time would tilt on the glass. sometimes even disconnecting. After a few months the suction cups barely held on anymore.
2. It intermittently would not turn on (I had it going off and on along with my CO2 cycle, I guess one could leave it on 100% of the time anyway....)
3. Too often would clog with leaves and detritus.
4. Internal parts of the clear/smoke plastic grew algae and diatoms fairly quickly requiring me to remove it from the tank every few weeks to take apart and clean. Too much of a pain.

I now use an inline PVC reactor and a fine mist bubble mister under one of my Koralias.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW. In my 85g at 3 bps, I've reached about 20ppm with this reactor. I just increased to 5 bps. This looks likeitmay be ner the max for this reactor. The CO2 vortex takes up most of the chamber and an very occasional small stream of bubbles is released.

Will see how high CO2 goes whenI get back in town n Friday. After plants grow out initially, I maybe just fine at sub 30ppm. Once where Iwant things, slower growth may be good.

Anyway, njoying the experimentation.
AB

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I had one and it seemed to work fine for a while. Issues I had:

1. Over time would tilt on the glass. sometimes even disconnecting. After a few months the suction cups barely held on anymore.
2. It intermittently would not turn on (I had it going off and on along with my CO2 cycle, I guess one could leave it on 100% of the time anyway....)
3. Too often would clog with leaves and detritus.
4. Internal parts of the clear/smoke plastic grew algae and diatoms fairly quickly requiring me to remove it from the tank every few weeks to take apart and clean. Too much of a pain.
Ditto except I kept mine running 24/7 and had the CO2 on a timer.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just an update for anyone considering the 500. Mine continues to work fine. It is accepting over 10 bps and co2 saturation is a little better then 30ppm in my 84g tank. I did have the suction cup issue, but all I had to do was clean the glass and it has stuck fine since.

No problems. Good co2 dist. It is completely silent and independent of other systems so no chance of leaks in filter return lines etc... that you risk with other inline setups. I keep thinking I should upgrade to a reactor or some other solution....but the 500 just keeps cranking and I'm very satisfied.

AB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts