The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this yesterday and the color stays yellow all the time...I made a 4kh solution with my tap water(out of the tap my water has a gh and kh of 0). According to the indicator I have to much Co2. I am only running about 3 bbs. Have I set the indicator up wrong? Should I have used distilled water instead? Has any1 else used this? Help?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Those CO2 indicators or "drop checkers" are only going to be accurate if you use distilled or DI water in them. So, that may be the reason for your problem. It seems that when we try to measure CO2 by measuring the tank water KH and pH we always get a reading that is much higher than the actual amount of CO2 in the water, so that is consistent with your experience. When you first set up the Red Sea unit, was the color blue? It should be, even with tap water. If not, you may have a bad KH test kit?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember if the color was blue or not when I set it up....I will have to try it again...My kh test kit is at least 2 years old so that may be part of the problem....I'll try some distilled water and see what happens. Thanks Hoppy...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, used some distilled water and the solution turned blue. Put it in the tank, within 6-7 minutes it was yellow. I was running about 4 bbs so I turned it down to 2 bbs and it finally changed to a light green. Today I changed my water, filled it back up and the solution changed from blue to green within 5 minutes...Does this sound accurate? Could I have 30ppm with just 2 bbs? Should I trust this or just crank the co2 up till I see fish stress then turn it down? Plants were pearling.... opinions?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumpity-bump.... What do you guys think?

·
Registered
93 Posts
hmmm... did you get the kh of the distilled water to 4 before putting it in the tank? that's the whole point of using it, if you did. if that's the case, then i'd guess maybe your diffuser is by the intake of your filter? maybe you're getting a super efficient absorption rate somehow or you don't have many plants? it's possible i guess, but i have 2bps going on my heavily planted 20 gallon and i'm barely getting it to hold at 6.7....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the kh to 4.....I let my co2 bubble into the intake of my h.o.t. magnum...I only use it for a co2 reactor, it has no filter media in it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.