The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some red root floaters from a member on this forum in a RAOK about two months ago. When I got them they looked awesome. Big red roots almost an inch long. Now the roots are tiny and green. I'm dosing EI, flourish, DIY CO2, I have osmocote plus root tabs, 2 x 18 w t5 lights. Does anyone know why my roots have been reduced to almost nothing? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357180741.439963.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357180795.770200.jpg

This is them when I received them.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357180846.346412.jpg

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would also like to know i had them before but i couldn't keep them alive. But for frogbit they grew like weeds i threw bucket loads of them out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My flame gourami ate the roots off all my floaters, which might explain why yours are now short. I can explain why the new growth isn't coming in as red.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've had a hard time growing RRF floaters too. The only place it was really succesful was in a tub in my greenhouse. Where it was in full sun it was red but where it was shaded it was green. I think it needs really high light and/or a specific spectrum...

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I recieved mine in the condition you are reporting and have nursed them back to bright red health. They require full spectrum lighting and cool temperatures. If your lamp is directly above them, be mindful of the heat emitted. In lesser quality light, they will grow or revert to green. These are the fussiest of all the floaters but will reward you with wonderful red grape light growth.

Happy new Year and good luck!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Mine grow like mad and have very nice strong roots. PH is around 7.8; Temp is about 78 degrees; Odyssea T5HO 2 bulb about 3.5 - 4 inches from the waters surface; no added ferts in this tank. I imagine they get pretty high light being so close to that bulb. I actually got them to provide a shady environment for my fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts