The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Red Root Floater for almost 9 months now, and it's been in a 5 gallon that is usually fertilized by Flourish products. For the first few months, it had bright red roots and spread fairly quickly. For a while it had these awesome small flowers (can post pictures later if you want!).

I recently tore down the tank and started over. The plants were in a bucket for a few days (cold water, no light, etc.), but I took the ones that still looked good and put them in the 5 gallon once it was ready. Since then, they've been losing leaves like crazy and dwindling in numbers. The roots are a dark-red to brown, and the leaves are mostly green with some pink and yellow sporadically.

Any ideas? I've played around with stagnant vs moving water, but I didn't see a significant difference, so they've been in moving water since the tank update. They are fertilized with Flourish (bi weekly) and Excel (daily), but seem to be lacking something that made them happy before. Is it perhaps temperature? I have a heater that won't go above 74, so it is slightly colder than what it was when I had a more powerful, but uglier, heater.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is that there aren't enough nitrates in the water to sustain them. Stagnant water seems to help, as well. Mine do fine at 74 degrees, so I don't think that it's temperature.
I've been thinking of getting some nitrates to dose with, since I also have a case of creeping BGA that grows on the substrate in small patches. I've read that nitrates will usually halt their progress. Additionally, I haven't had any fish in there for quite a while, but 1 week ago got 15 Boraras brigittae - not really the bioload that would supply enough nitrates for plant growth, I imagine!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.