The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They were normal when I got them (March 27th) and only a few days ago I saw one actively dying in the front. I took her out n isolated her, unfortunately she didn't make it. Before this I had 1 female w eggs die of unknown causes. Now I see that two other Shrimps are a milky color in their midsection between the red. The only thing that changed since then was phosphate levels.

I added a tiny, VERY TINY, bit into my tank to help my ludwigia keep the bottom leaves. That was a few days ago, this is after female 1's death but before female 2's.

I have a 5 gal planted w monte carlo, banana plants, and ozelot sword (will be removed to an upgraded tank) and Ludwigia (it has red leaves too). I can check my levels after work but I'm so worried about my remaining shrimp.

The stocking is:
5 Red Rili Shrimp
1 male Amano

EDIT: They were all out, everyone dipped except the two milky ones. Here they are :(

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had a few shrimp do that last year, turned out they were having a hard time with molting

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a few shrimp do that last year, turned out they were having a hard time with molting
I would normally believe that but they've molted several times before and none of them turned milky beforehand. The foods i give are the Hikari Shrimp Cuisine and BFR Prenium vegetable sticks w/ calcium and microbitotics. Only 1 had an issue molting but he overcame his stuck molt.

Im just super nervous for them I dont want them to be ill or in any pain

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What did you use to add phosphates and how much did you add?

Phosphate is not known to be dangerous to shrimp life, but I have read that it can interfere with molting and reproduction in concentrations of <0.02ppm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What did you use to add phosphates and how much did you add?

Phosphate is not known to be dangerous to shrimp life, but I have read that it can interfere with molting and reproduction in concentrations of <0.02ppm
I have Flourish from Seachem. I use like less than a capful. Like probably a little less than half the cap w a thin layer on it. It was about 3 days ago?

Is there any way I can help them?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Don't feel stupid for it. I live in a place where I have very limited access to test supplies so I often have to make up for it through weird experiments. If you have access to testing supplies I would pick some up, though, as it does make things easier, but don't feel stupid for not having supplies.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't feel stupid for it. I live in a place where I have very limited access to test supplies so I often have to make up for it through weird experiments. If you have access to testing supplies I would pick some up, though, as it does make things easier, but don't feel stupid for not having supplies.
What specific testing supplies should I get? I have an aquarium store nearby that should have most of the things

Could be muscle necrosis/bacterial infection.
How can I help them??

If the shrimp looks milky it could have constipation
How can I help them if thats the case?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
With shrimp you're definitely going to want ph, gh and dhk tests. TDS tests are also very helpful. That's on top of the standard ammo, nitrite and nitrate tests for general freshwater fish keeping. Those would be the standard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With shrimp you're definitely going to want ph, gh and dhk tests. TDS tests are also very helpful. That's on top of the standard ammo, nitrite and nitrate tests for general freshwater fish keeping. Those would be the standard.
I have the freshwater test kit that has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. What gH and dhk tests do you recommend?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tbh the only ones I have ever been able to get have been API and seachem and I know those aren't the best.
I'll look up the tests more but thank you so much! Rn they're all out n I have 3 w no milky coloring (1 male and 2 females) and I have 2 females w the milky coloring. 1 is extremely small, so it could be a male but my two big females are moving around while the other two are alive but motionless. Its worries me

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.