The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couple dozen snails from another member at my aquarium society. I've had red ramshorn for years, but started new tanks after a move.

I've had a very interesting development, I've never seen it, and cant find any true info on it.

After 24 hours, a small ramshorn had turned pitch black. Even his foot. About 24 hours after I noticed this guy, another one had turned black. The second one is adult size-slightly smaller than a dime. EVERY snail in the bag was red when I got them. What caused/is causing this? Does anyone know, and has this been noted in any research? Does anyone know of any links?

Tank is 20G. Has CBS and neon yellow shrimp in it. Guppies and one 1" BN. Lots of wood, lots of plants(rinsed in H2O2 before adding). 2 small rocks.
pH is low 7's. other parameters normal(its a shrimp tank). I add a pinch of calcium once a week. Food is mostly banana/walter/micro worms for guppies, cucumber for pleco/snails/shrimp. A sprinkle of veggie flake every few days.
Snails have only been in the tank 4 days now.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I notice all the pond snails I keep in my driftwood soaking bin have turned black and most have white stripes from calcium deposits on their shells (from sticking out of the water for a while after being on top of the barely submerged river rock in there used to weight the wood down) it makes their shells look cool. Its a black bin with no lights and I usually keep the lid (loosely) on to reduce evaporation, no tech, they just get left over food scraps once every couple of weeks and clean the wood, rock, and bio-film off for most of their food.
All pond snails in active, cycled, lit tanks are not black but semi clear like you see in most photos.
So that said.. it might be environment or diet change to cause the color shift but I honestly cannot say. Are they being kept in the same tank environment as your previous (never turned black) snails?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, all snails in same tank. Another batch is in another tank, but its much larger. I havent seen any ramshorn turn black in that one. The 20G has a brand new hood and light, as well as gets 1 hour of dawn sunrise direct before it clears their area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.