The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im new to this forum so Hi everyone :)

Ok. Ive been keeping Tropical Fish for about 2 years now and still have alot to learn. Ive recently bought 3 Red Ramshorn Snails and they are alot smaller than i thought they would be. I placed my snails in my tank and I noticed my Platties and My Pinapple Swordtails were having a go at them. Recently they have stopped and they seem to be doing alot better, getting around the tank alot more. So, do you think the fish will stop bothering them? and ive noticed there shells have like white dints in them, can anyone tell me what this is?

Thanks Luke.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Luke - welcome to the forum! Platies and swordtails will pick on anything that moves (I have a community aquarium of them) - my ramshorns are doing fine with the fish. I can't say for certain if your platies and swordtails will stop picking on the snails; I would imagine that it's just part of their nature to do so. If you have plants for your snails to hide in (away from the prying fish), that would probably help them out a lot.

The white dents that you mention might be corrosion of the shells. What are your water parameters like? It is possible that your water might be too soft and acidic for their shells, and you need to add some calcium/magnesium to bring up the water hardness.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where do you get calcium/magnesium? My rams shells are turning white also... i also have fish and plants in tank. Is it safe to add?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where do you get calcium/magnesium? My rams shells are turning white also... i also have fish and plants in tank. Is it safe to add?
It is fine to dose your tank with calcium and magnesium to increase the general hardness of your water. Here is a forum thread from Aquatic Plant Central where they discuss the use of CaCl2 and MgSO4 to increase GH, plus some resources (epsom salts/etc):

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-wet-thumb-forum-calcium-dosing-increase.html

I would highly recommend checking your water parameters first before you do any of this. Also, if you decide to add the minerals, do it slowly so that the water parameters don't swing too much; otherwise, your fish/plants/inverts/etc will likely be very stressed from the drastic changes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts