The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may seem weird but my red plants turn green when I put them in my tank.
my tank is a 120G and I have 5 T5HO's bulbs. 2x 65k's, 2 x 10K's and I have a purple ATI ( for the cardinal tetras ) The light is about 4" off the tank on the fixture legs. the fixture is a Current Outer Orbit.
i run 2 bulbs from 4pm to 12am all 5 from 5pm to 10pm and just 2 from 10pm to 12am

I dose ferts. i use NPK and CSM+B
KNO3 1 1/2 TSP
KH2PO4 1/2 TSP
K3SO4 1/2 TSP
CSM+B 1/2 TSP

I usually mix ferts in warm water and then pour it in the tank. I do a 60 to 80% water change every saturday.

I run CO2 where the DC is greenish yellow. I also dose iron as well and use seachem root tabs.

should the red plants be turning green?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've heard enough hypothesis that I've honestly got no firm answer.

I've read that red is a sign of stress. Potential example: I received red ludwigia that was very red when it arrived after being shipped in the dark for several days. Once in my tank it quickly lost most of the red and is now mostly green with some red hues.

I've hear high iron, high light, low something else, etc and have yet to get my plants looking like they were when they arrived.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
this may seem weird but my red plants turn green when I put them in my tank.
my tank is a 120G and I have 5 T5HO's bulbs. 2x 65k's, 2 x 10K's and I have a purple ATI ( for the cardinal tetras ) The light is about 4" off the tank on the fixture legs. the fixture is a Current Outer Orbit.
i run 2 bulbs from 4pm to 12am all 5 from 5pm to 10pm and just 2 from 10pm to 12am

I dose ferts. i use NPK and CSM+B
KNO3 1 1/2 TSP
KH2PO4 1/2 TSP
K3SO4 1/2 TSP
CSM+B 1/2 TSP

I usually mix ferts in warm water and then pour it in the tank. I do a 60 to 80% water change every saturday.

I run CO2 where the DC is greenish yellow. I also dose iron as well and use seachem root tabs.

should the red plants be turning green?
lower the KNO3 and you will start to see the red colors, this also stress the plant though.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
i had a hard water in the past and never seen any plant turn red due to water hardness.
In terms of high water hardness I meant plants are greener. Actually it could be a combination of factors such as lack of circulation, with calcification or algea on leaves (Carbonate ion exchange on leaf surfaces during photosynthesis) This ultimately affects how light is processed.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I see more red leaves when they are closer to the light and near the water surface. My Temple plants would have red/brownish leaves as they are near the water surface. My creeping jenny would have pinkish color when they are growing at the water surface and horizontally. My green cabombas never turned read even growing side way by the water surface.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i will use only 3 T5's.. 2 x 65k's and one 10K. leave them on for 12 hours a day. reduce KNO3 to 1TSP instead of 1 1/2TSPs. I use liquid Iron. i use seachem... says to use 1 cap full per 50 gallons (I have a 120 so I use 3) I will increase to 4 cap fulls per week. my CO2 is at 15BB/s now so I know I have enough co2. I also use flourish once a week just because.
here is the tank:

my amazon sword:

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
To add onto what chad said, I would also ditch the 10k's... They seem to have been the cause of some hair algae for me a whole back. Not sure if the were or not... Maybe get some 6700? The 65s and 67s seem to give a nice hue to the plants and make the reds, purples and orange "pop" more.

I also dose a butt load of fe. I have never reduced the amount that I dose to see if that really makes a difference though. I just like adding lots. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.