The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few red plants I just got and they are slowly losing their color. From reading through a few threads there are some varying reasons. Some say light intensity, spectrum and needing to dose iron. The plants are in a 40B located at the rear of the tank with the light being only about 9 inches from the substrate in that area. The light I'm using there is a Beamswork .5W pent fixture. If the issue is with the spectrum of light, is there a way to resolve this without buying a new light?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Red plants need looks of iron and high light. If the leaves are yellow then very well could be iron I dose iron every two days you also need all the dry ferts gh booster kno3 root tabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Other plants like rotala macrandra stay green, and my other red plants aren't as red as I would like, I was saying that ludwiga red is very easy to make grow red compared to others.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Manganese deficiency is often confused with iron deficiency. Also, iron cannot be easily absorbed in a high pH. In fact, the best absorption is between 5-6.5 pH.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Eh, the plants are new to your tank and their primary goal is short term survival, not the color of their leaves. They are putting all of their energy into growing new roots and they will do anything they can, including dropping old leaves, to do it faster.

Before making any changes at all, I would wait for the new plants to start growing new leaves in *your* tank. Only after that, I would check the new leaves to see if they need anything else. In other words, give the new plants some time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.