The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can suggest tallish red/purple/pink plants that would still make an impact under low/medium light and no CO2. To make it more difficult I also have very hard water. In the past I have used red tiger lotus and I already have a nice rotala and ludwigia repens which did provide a little colour when I was able to control my ferts better, I'm now away too much. I also have a giant vallis which was ment to have red tips but never has, I suspect the company sent me the wrong one but it may just be not enough light/CO2.

·
Registered
948 Posts
red stem plants are typically very needy. even if you got them red from the lfs, they may turn green under low light. they seem to thrive with at least high light, trace and some co2.

i haven't been as successfuly with res plants as my own setups haven't been as consistent. i do have res tiger lotus and even barclaya longfolia that seem to stay red no matter what parameters i throw them into

- thefisherman

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have fallen in love with alternanthera reineckii. With minor effort it thrives. Petsmart had it in stock and I grabbed a few. It's a slow grower, but with just modified EI and Excel, medium lighting, and some trimming, it's an absolute stunner. I think it's worth a shot with your set up.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Rotala Rotundifolia, i just got some in and it is a really stunning plant. It has a lot of pinks and pink greens to it, it really brightens up a corner of my tank. Theres also Tiger Lotus, but i guess that wouldnt be a stem plant, also you've said that it has been in your tanks before

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Wondering if anyone can suggest tallish red/purple/pink plants that would still make an impact under low/medium light and no CO2. To make it more difficult I also have very hard water. In the past I have used red tiger lotus and I already have a nice rotala and ludwigia repens which did provide a little colour when I was able to control my ferts better, I'm now away too much. I also have a giant vallis which was ment to have red tips but never has, I suspect the company sent me the wrong one but it may just be not enough light/CO2.
Hi Ony,

Not quite sure how tall 'tallish' is but Ludwiga sp. 'Rubin' ('Red') does well in my non-CO2 medium light tank.

10 gallon; no CO2; Seachem Flourish Comprehensive & Excel

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have fallen in love with alternanthera reineckii. With minor effort it thrives. Petsmart had it in stock and I grabbed a few. It's a slow grower, but with just modified EI and Excel, medium lighting, and some trimming, it's an absolute stunner. I think it's worth a shot with your set up.
I'm right there too! It grows great in my tanks. All of my tanks are low light, sand capped dirt. I got it as a 1/2 dead plant for $1 one tank is lower light, the other tank is high light, doing great in both.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
There is the Ludwigia sp. Red that is supposed to stay red even in such conditions as you described.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Ludwigia sp. Red is the easiest red stem plant to grow that I have encountered. It is very read in my non co2, lower tech nano. Tiger lotus tends to do well.

Outside of that, just try things. Many red plants look great even if they turn green, or orange. I have grown so many red plants that people claim require super high light and CO2. Some don't work out though.

I have a theory that if you have enough light to grow plants well (not talking about low light), the lack of CO2 makes plants grow more slowly. The slower growth almost creates a situation where you have a long photo period since you have a longer period of lighting compared to growth when you have CO2. Therefore, some red plants color up great without CO2. That's just my theory and its' worked for me. Not to say they are the most vibrant plants but they can be really red without co2/high light. Maybe its the fact I stress them because I don't really fertilize. Either way, it works for me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow lots of great options, I'm tempted to spoil my layout and make a little trial area in a well lit spot so I can try all of your wonderful suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts