The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these 8 Red Phantoms for my 37 gallon 1 1/2 months ago.
Only other fish are German Blue Rams but they never seem to care about the Phantoms.
They happily swim around the tank... until you get close enough to see them, then they just hide behind the plants.
Its frustrating because they are MORE than used to the tank, the only other fish aren't a problem, and they are nice fish.

Anyone know how to get them to be less shy or have a bolder fish to recommend?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Do they come out for feeding time?

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I got these 8 Red Phantoms for my 37 gallon 1 1/2 months ago.
Only other fish are German Blue Rams but they never seem to care about the Phantoms.
They happily swim around the tank... until you get close enough to see them, then they just hide behind the plants.
Its frustrating because they are MORE than used to the tank, the only other fish aren't a problem, and they are nice fish.

Anyone know how to get them to be less shy or have a bolder fish to recommend?
Hi Mean Green,

It is frustrating to purchase beautiful fish and then not be able to see them. A year or so ago I purchased six really nice juvie Pseudomugil gertrudai ARU II White Strain from Gary Lange. I put them in a 20 gallon well planted tank with some Apistogramma nijsseni and some German Blue Rams. The Pseudomugil gertrudai like the upper portion of the tank and hid in the back where I never saw them. So I decided to add some dither fish to the tank. I picked up five nice Brachydanio tinwin (Gold Ring Danio) and the problem was solved; within a few days the Pseudomugil gertrudai were scooling with the danios and I got to enjoy some beautiful fish.

Pseudomugil gertrudai ARU II White Strain from Gary Lange

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Flame tetras are a fairly bold fish, at least the ones I've kept tended to shoal about mid tank. They might be a good fish of choice to keep with your Red Phantoms. I'd also have to ask, has a pair of your Rams started courting? As there will be some aggression towards dither fish in a community tank when a pair starts to set up house to raise young. My Apisto and Nannacara females would make life hell for any fish they deemed a threat to their spawning cave or location.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone!

Going to clear some things up that have been asked.
#1: The Red Phantoms come out to feed as long as I'm not too close to the tank.
#2: The GBRs seem to do some kind of cycle when it comes to courting. The male will chase the female from time to time, the female will lay eggs, if they don't hatch (which they never have so far) they eat them and the male chases the female again.
#3: The most interaction i've ever seen between the two species is the rams stealing food from the tetras and vice versa, the Red Phantoms do tend to avoid them though due to them being 1/3 the size of the Rams.

Also i've noticed some of them have a tendency to go completely clear with their fins going a deep red when I'm around. They color back up when I pour food or leave though.

Thanks for the advice btw!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts