The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Very cool. Not just the cherry nerites but his scape and his variety of inverts in the tank. Like 6 different shrimps and maybe 5 different nerite types?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
yeah, they don't look natural and appear to be commonly available snails that might be dyed/painted....

I've never seen them before this.

I could be wrong. But something seems fishy. If they were around I think people would be all over them.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
You guys could be right... googling "cherry nerites" returns no other pictures besides those shown in the other forum.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I dunno, look here.

They do come in red, and the top shell in that pic looks just like his second one. He has said on other places I found that the soild red one is the only one like that he has gotten or seen.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think these are painted. Who the heck is going to paint the tiny Nerites? Pattern and all. The red ones are the size of horned bumblebee nerites....you'd have to have a tiny brush and a very steady hand.

You guys know 99% of the time the US gets the cool stuff last. Since these are snails one of the most numerous creatures on earth, if they are legit we'll get them eventually.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Look at the black chevron marks and tell me they aren't painted on.

If people can write on rice, I think they can pain on a shell.

I posted a pic above of a whole bunch of different styles of red nerite shells and there is more examples of them online. He has said that the solid red one is the only one he's seen like that in all the snails he's imported before, so its just a rare mutant. We see it all the time with shrimp.

Look at poor Zid, posted some pics of his orange shrimp to share and because his camera didn't catch the orange right, everyone cried fake, despite the fact that orange cardina shrimp do exist, he has some, Nikki sells them, everyone cried fake, fake.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I don't think these are painted. Who the heck is going to paint the tiny Nerites?
Obviously you havent heard of 40k Warhammer. I use to paint models smaller than your pinky. Very easily done. The models are maybe 2" tall and FULL of details within.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not saying it's not possible. I just don't think it's probable. Motive. How much can you make from forged/dyed snails? You'd have to sell tens of thousands to make it worth while.

What is your 40K Warhammer models worth? $10-$50 bucks...I'm just guessing. Faking a snail....Congrats you've made a $2.00 snail worth $4.00...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What is your 40K Warhammer models worth? $10-$50 bucks...I'm just guessing. Faking a snail....Congrats you've made a $2.00 snail worth $4.00...
$60-$75 sold one for $150.00

As far as snails worth. IF it catches on and people FLOOD the market with demand these could sell for $12-$15.

Here are a few examples
Both sell from 8.99 to 12.99

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
They could be real ? If they are real, I want some :)

He did say the solid red are very rare. I would have thought Zebra Nerites were painted if I didn't know better ! The Spanish is very nice. Love that deep red though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.