The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been having this thought in my head for a while. Is the red Ludwigia that is sold at petsmart the same as Ludwigia sp red that is sold here on the forum sometimes?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Which is different from Ludwigia sp. red.

v3
In what way?
Ludwigia sp. red stays a bright red and L. repens will get red on the underside of the leaf and is green on top. You can see L. sp. red on the left side of my tank.

[r=http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/uahua2/media/7fc3920c-13fd-4a4b-9c4e-d315b74d0213_zpsfdc1824d.jpg.html]
[/URL]

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
How difficult is Ludwigia sp red? Iwas hoping they were the same but I guess not lol iwant a red plant to add some color into my tank
I have not tried it in a low tech setup but others have said it stays red even in a low tech. It has to be the most undemanding red plant I have ever had. Grows like crazy once established.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
"Red Ludwigia" is usually used to refer to Ludwigia repens, which can grow much larger in size than Ludwigia 'red' (which, if i remember correctly, is believed to be a form of Ludwigia palustris-- hence why it's sometimes called Ludwigia palustris 'red'). It is also sometimes called Ludwigia 'hybrid', which is kind of deceiving since it's not a hybrid at all.

The latter is a much nicer plant, and usually displays a nice red color even under low light.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Hmm, I'm wondering about this myself.

Previously I've kept Ludwigia sp. 'Red' that stayed a consistent deep blood red in any lighting. And regular Ludwigia too, which of course turns red given enough light, but more strongly on the bottom of leaves.

But recently I picked up a plant at Petco, it was unlabeled but looks like some kind of Ludwigia. However, it's not the color of either other type I've kept. It's deep red, on both the top and bottom of leaves, but has a definite magenta tint that I have not seen in sp. 'Red'. Interestingly, new growth also has a bit of yellow:

Interested to see what folks think this is.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, I'm wondering about this myself.

Previously I've kept Ludwigia sp. 'Red' that stayed a consistent deep blood red in any lighting. And regular Ludwigia too, which of course turns red given enough light, but more strongly on the bottom of leaves.

But recently I picked up a plant at Petco, it was unlabeled but looks like some kind of Ludwigia. However, it's not the color of either other type I've kept. It's deep red, on both the top and bottom of leaves, but has a definite magenta tint that I have not seen in sp. 'Red'. Interestingly, new growth also has a bit of yellow:

Interested to see what folks think this is.
Nice plant and color! Deal interesting how plants names can be lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.