The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Im giving myself a week to hunt for a very red strain of Limnophila aromatica. If anyone has a coloful aromatica, please post or pm me pics. Im willing to buy a few stems. Ill be looking around for another week or 2 before ordering.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I always assumed limno aro, and hippuroides would turn red under bright enough lighting....

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
+1 ^^
Let it float for a week or two and it will get as red as it can in your tank and with many branches.

v3

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hm, well I know they turn red under high tech conditions, but Ive seen that there is alot of variation too. I saw a thread where a guy compared his stems to someone else he acquired, put it in the same tank and they both had different colours. His were more red than the other. Which is why Im asking this atm.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I would love to read that thread.

v3

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to read that thread.

v3

Read this along time ago, I think I also saw a post on tpt about someone saying there are many different variants of the aromatica, even though the colour difference might be small.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...rsed-culture/58854-limnophilia-aromatica.html

The last page/s show good comparison. Maybe Im being too picky. I just dont want an aromatica that never colours up. Ive been in contact with a few people, so I might go ahead and buy it on the weekend.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I've gotten limno aromatica from two sources and there coloring up the same. The hippuroides is coloring the same as well the only difference between the two is leaf size otherwise the same plant

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I would not mind trading my "colorful" for "always green" variety.

v3

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
L. hipporoides was the name given to L. aromatica before it was found that they are, in fact, the same species. As for the color variation, it's probably due to different lighting it's receiving even though it's in the same tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts