The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I made a discovery in my 20L newt paludarium today. The tank has been up and running for about 8 months now and has grown into an absolute jungle. I pretty much let everything grow rampant in here and only trim back the hydrocotyle when it starts to grow over the other plants.

Anyways, here's what I found in the emersed section. Currently it's only a few leaves but it seems like it may grow an entire patch this color.

Don't ask me my secret because to be honest, I couldn't tell ya! Don't know how or why it's growing red, and I didn't even know it was possible. The only instance I've seen hydrocotyle be red is a piece of hydrocotyle vertallica grown in a guys tank that works for buceplant

Flower Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Plant Flower Leaf Petal Terrestrial plant

Plant Flower Petal Finger Terrestrial plant

Flower Plant Petal Gesture Finger

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow that is pretty impressive. I was originally thinking you got that color because you grew it emersed but it seems like you have seen it grow submerged too.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that is pretty impressive. I was originally thinking you got that color because you grew it emersed but it seems like you have seen it grow submerged too.
I'm not sure if chris from buceplant had his grow red submerged or in wabi kusa, I'd suspect the latter. However I've grown hydrocotyle Japan both submerged and emersed multiple times but never had it turn red. I even have a Variegated cultivar emersed "confetti" which has thrown some all white leaves but nothing like this. I'm wondering if the twinstar has something to do with it since I'm running relatively high PAR at the terrestrial area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.