The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Recently been finalizing my stock list for my 40 gallon and was scouting out prices n things. One of my choices was a trio of honey gouramis.
At the only store that sells them in town, they had a tank labeled "Honey yellow" and "honey red". Plan was to get two of the yellows and one red as I'm a sucker for red coloured fish. Upon some further research, I found out that sometimes thicklip gouramis get sold as red honey gouramis. Looking at the poor photos I took from a few weeks ago, I think this might be the case at the store. Just wanted a confirmation on what they are. I wont be getting them for a few more weeks yet, but getting excited as I've never kept them before.
Thanks
Ones labeled as Red honeys

And here's the yellow honeys, which I don't have any doubts about

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
I wanna say thick lipped. They tend to have lighter tails I think. Though honeys can too so that's not a deciding factor. But also the bodies. I also always enjoyed Honey's appearances because they always seemed so smooth looking. Their bodies always seem more symmetrical in almost every way. Thick lips have that forehead thing going and body mass is situated a little more to the front of the body. Looks like the top photo goes more with Thick Lipped Gourami to me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The fish in the first photo are red or sunset thick lipped gouramis. The honeys are wild type fish; breeding males are spectacular.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright great, thanks for the replies! Glad I found this out before I purchased them.
Guess I'll be going with three of the normal honeys instead.
Getting a little impatient! Haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts