The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not new to Cichlids, but my first time with a proper eartheater. I got a school of 6 that are about 2.5+ (Typically Bolivian Ram size) which are still in the juvenile category. They are in my 75 Gallon planted for about a week now, sand bottom, plenty of room to browse and eating well since they have been here.

The are fighting often.

Not damaging, but there are 2 leading the harassment with absolutely constant sparring and chasing of the bunch. I have seen it before, and people typically suggest adding/removing some or changing the mix. The question I have is; in situations where you had the same; do you remove the oppressor(s), or the oppressed?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Totally normal behavior. They are just establishing a pecking order. I liken Tapajos aggression to a bunch of toothless chihuahuas. The only real damage done will be hurt feelings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally normal behavior. They are just establishing a pecking order. I liken Tapajos aggression to a bunch of toothless chihuahuas. The only real damage done will be hurt feelings.
Thanks, will it subside in frequency? They are in my office, so I am also watching then 10ish hours a day, but it seems non stop for the time being.

Any idea at what size they are sexually mature?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks, will it subside in frequency? They are in my office, so I am also watching then 10ish hours a day, but it seems non stop for the time being.

Any idea at what size they are sexually mature?
There will always be some flaring and a little chasing. They are very social fish and do well in groups. 6 is a great number for them. The last group that I had began to spawn at about 4''. Keep in mind that they are notoriously slow growing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There will always be some flaring and a little chasing. They are very social fish and do well in groups. 6 is a great number for them. The last group that I had began to spawn at about 4''. Keep in mind that they are notoriously slow growing.
Slow is a relief, as I have nothing but time. Appreciate your info.

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
My geophagus SVENI nit pic at each other throughout the day. It is their temperament. I agree that do better in groups. I have 6 in a 180 gallon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do they scar themselves like angels ?
Assume you meant scare, and not "scare" No. No damage to anyone, but the chasing is constant, and the chasee never runs far enough so it just continues. I know the typical pecking order activity, and some lip locking will always be there, but they seem really hell bent on carving out territories.

If you meant "scare", then Yes, they are incredibly skittish, but that is typical with most new inhabitants.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I mean scar; my angels are little devils that brutalize each other and leave 'scars' all over each other. They are not really scars in the sense of humans but damage to the scales (and colouring).

Assume you meant scare, and not "scare" No. No damage to anyone, but the chasing is constant, and the chasee never runs far enough so it just continues. I know the typical pecking order activity, and some lip locking will always be there, but they seem really hell bent on carving out territories.

If you meant "scare", then Yes, they are incredibly skittish, but that is typical with most new inhabitants.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About a month later, and absolutely no change. Could this have to do with my tank being moderately planted? They seem to run each other out of their decided upon space 24/7. One is very stressed, and always the chasee...It has plenty of space to get away from them, but seems to want to stay near.

Not sure what happened, but about 2 weeks ago they started to dart into the plant cover instantly upon my entering the room. They absolutely never come out now. A bit frustrating, but hoping it is just a comfort thing.

·
Registered
580 Posts
About a month later, and absolutely no change. Could this have to do with my tank being moderately planted? They seem to run each other out of their decided upon space 24/7. One is very stressed, and always the chasee...It has plenty of space to get away from them, but seems to want to stay near.

Not sure what happened, but about 2 weeks ago they started to dart into the plant cover instantly upon my entering the room. They absolutely never come out now. A bit frustrating, but hoping it is just a comfort thing.
Hungry fishes always come out to eat; just feed them less and in an open area and they will come out sooner or later ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts