The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 days ago I realized 1 of my neons looked like a porcupine. I removed him and did my best to save him in a hospital tank, be died. Then yesterday found another dead neon and another one today. I did a very large water change. And all water parameters are normal. My fish do look like they have red gills and I did have ich 3 weeks ago that I treated with high heat (86).I have a 55 gallon tank that is fully stocked, I have been doing water changes every 2 weeks 50%, and this tank is 10 months old. I quaratine my fish. And the newest batch I put in was 5 weeks ago.I think this may be gill flukes maybe, what would be best thing to treat with?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
red gills is usually the sign of either ammonia or chlorine poisoning. When you say all water parameters are normal, what are you testing and what were the results? Any chance you forgot the dechlorinator during a water change?

When you say it looked like a porcupine, do you mean the scales were sticking out/off of the body? Sort of resembling a pinecone? Chances are that could've been dropsy and/or bloat.

Gill Flukes are usually impossible to see/detect unless you put the dead fish under a microscope and look at the gills.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
^+1^
Pineconing/dropsy is a symptom of bacterial issues.
The preferred treatment for flukes at this time is Praziquantel which one of the safest drugs to use.
Hard to mix if you get powder,but powder is better.
I use this brand as they top notch!
http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/newproducts.html
Mix with teaspoon of vodka then water!
This is of course if you think your fish need fluke treatment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tested ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 ppm with an api test kit. I did not forget decholirnator with my water change.The only symptoms in tank is the gils seem very red and one of my cories eye is cloudy looking. Yes the one neon looked like a pinecone which I believe was dropsy. I do not know if the problem is gill flukes for sure it just seemed to match my fish sysptoms, maybe.I just don't want to lose more fish.Should I just wait and see if anymore start to act sick or dose something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.