The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Ghost Shrimp have red stripes on them? I bought some to get me buy until I have a little more money and the tank setup is completed. I was going to look for some info but upon looking at pictures they did not have red on them. What do you guys think?

PS 1st time with shrimp that are not food for a Oscar

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I was on another forum and the ones with stripes get larger and tend to be fish killers. But to answer your question, no ghost shrimp has stripes.
Yeah, you're like totally wrong, sorry james.

Once and a while when they get hungry they might grab some small thing, but usually won't if there is enough food. So fish killer is just garbage. You're probably thinking about one of the macro shrimp... there are pleanty of them who are fishkillers.

I'll have to check the name on the food I'll let you know later.

-Andrew

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this what you were talking taking about? http://www.petshrimp.com/glassshrimp.html
Third picture down.
They are not fish killers, I have had them with endler fry, small corys, white clouds, and cherry shrimp. They are a little aggressive at feeding time, but fish killer is a stretch.
That looks close, I will compare them when I get home from work

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, you're like totally wrong, sorry james.

Once and a while when they get hungry they might grab some small thing, but usually won't if there is enough food. So fish killer is just garbage. You're probably thinking about one of the macro shrimp... there are pleanty of them who are fishkillers.

I'll have to check the name on the food I'll let you know later.

-Andrew
So do the ones with red stripes have a different name than the one who don't

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have had ghosts catch and kill small fish.
I will keep an eye on it. I will post if I see any fish missing. I have exactly 14 neons and 7 white clouds, we will see if it goes down. Also If I see any just at a fish I will report what color it is.

I have found out that they have two names

Palaemonetes kadakensis and P. paludosus

can any tell the difference?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is you fish killer:

They look like Ghost shrimp when young. Macrobrachium sp. Choco
When that West African species enters the aquarium trade, it is never as a feeder "ghost" shrimp. The predatory Palaemonids labeled as such are almost always juvenile Macrobrachium rosenbergii (an aquacultured Indo-Pacific species and the largest freshwater prawn in the world). Some populations are indeed characterized by prominent red to black lateral stripes on the carapace.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
When that West African species enters the aquarium trade, it is never as a feeder "ghost" shrimp. The predatory Palaemonids labeled as such are almost always juvenile Macrobrachium rosenbergii (an aquacultured Indo-Pacific species and the largest freshwater prawn in the world). Some populations are indeed characterized by prominent red to black lateral stripes on the carapace.
I agree with you Veneer, that deffinatly is a Macro shrimp, just look at the claws.

So You don't have a ghost shrimp:icon_wink

-Andrew

·
Registered
889 Posts
I hope that picture isn't a picture of your shrimp! Anyways most of my Ghost Shrimp have the 'red bands' on their antennae and right before their tiny claws. Also the 'fish killers' commonly sold as "Freshwater Shrimp" I believe are called the Long-Arm Shrimp (common name). Good luck!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I hope that picture isn't a picture of your shrimp! Anyways most of my Ghost Shrimp have the 'red bands' on their antennae and right before their tiny claws. Also the 'fish killers' commonly sold as "Freshwater Shrimp" I believe are called the Long-Arm Shrimp (common name). Good luck!
The photo, by Uwe Werner, is from www.wirbellose.de/arten.html, and depicts an unspecified Macrobrachium from Guinea.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts