The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a "scoop of floaters" from the LFS and I separated the species because I did not want the Duckweed. I already had Amazon Frogbit in this photo for size comparison, and wanted something else that was bigger than Duckweed. I found these plants that kind of appear to be a waxy water lettuce of some sort, they have lines along the leaves. The underside of the leaves are reddish in color, which is a huge benefit in color contrast when viewing the tank from a lower angle. They are perfect imo, large enough not to be eaten by the filter with wonderful underside coloration. Does this plant need iron to keep its red color the way all other aquarium plants do??

·
Registered
346 Posts
he placed the frog bit in that picture.
are the smaller ones of red root floaters? don't really look like mine, but maybe yours were under weaker lights?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I placed the Frogbit in there for size comparison. The smaller floaters around it are the ones in question with red undersides I will get a picture later of the bottom. I have heard of "red root floaters" but they look nothing like these, these are waxy and have no crinkle pattern in them. The roots are not red, but the underside of the leaves are.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel it is a form of dwarf lettuce, but nothing we are familiar with in the aquarium hobby. I think they are really awesome, Phyllanthus Fluitans is red on the top with red roots - these are red on the bottom with white roots, amazing contrast. I had to bust out the macro lens for these, here is the top next to a baby, they seem to propagate in pairs of 2 linked together then separate.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:wink2:

I would love to see this take on, I think it is a really cool plant. I have been on a search for almost a year for something I wanted, Frogbit is the closest I have found but I hate the way it propagates. I will help the community out as you all help me, I am an eBay power-seller so shipping is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Spirodela polyrhiza or something close is the smaller one, not rrf.

Also, there is no such thing as dwarf water lettuce! Only one that varies a lot based on conditions.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Spirodela polyrhiza or something close is the smaller one, not rrf.

Also, there is no such thing as dwarf water lettuce! Only one that varies a lot based on conditions.
I think you nailed it, Google shows Spirodela polyrhiza as my plant. Good call! It seems to be also called "Giant Duckweed"

I only keep these and Frogbit in my nano tank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts