The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally cleaned the 40b up a bit and added a few fish to it.
Above guppies, zebras and red blue tetras.
After a few weeks all are fine...except the above guppies.
Out of 3 one disappeared after day 1 (was surface clinging so thought he would be an issue).
One was fine (though a bit lethargic for a guppy) till today.
Found floating. He was sort of the remaining ones pal and more than active together for at least the first week.
Became a bit reclusive and of course ..died.

Never really had problems with any guppies before so I was wondering if this "variety" had any known issues/sensitivities?
am/nitrites undetectable.
Nitrates about 25-50ppm, low normal for this tank over the years.

TDS is high at about 700ppm but guppies that can live in saltwater shouldn't be affected.
GH is high as reflected above, Mg.
Kh is 2-ish more or less
No not "ideal" but it is what it is.

·
Premium Member
5,665 Posts
Hard to say- but most likely diseased when you got them or genetically weak fish. Guppies that are farm raised are known to be prone to genetic weaknesses from not enough variation (inbreeding).
Hopefully, it is this and not a disease that will spread to other fish.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
What temp are you running your tank at? I've never had a lot of success with livebearers unless they're warm and in saltwater.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
What temp are you running your tank at? I've never had a lot of success with livebearers unless they're warm and in saltwater.
Lol I could send you some indestructible endler/ guppy hybrids I have 3 males living in my very soft water 40b and they've colonized in my neutral cold water tanks 😉 but they're the ugliest things you've ever seen 😅

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
78F.
No added salt.

Since Petco honored their warranty but had no males left I decided to replace them w/
2 females.

I won't t be surprised if this eventually is problematic like last time.

I've had luck w/ orange Platys breeding prolifically though nowhere the speed of guppies .
Odd thing us most perished after a short time as full grown adults. Back then I thought it might be due to nitrate levels.

I finally have my resin system of nitrate removal (also removes heavy metals and tannins) working.
Surprise, surprise.... takes more work than expected. ;)

I do want to try the anoxic filtering methods.... eventually. Still have the accumulation of minerals and non- nitrate stuff.

Water changes though relatively easy are cumbersome to me so cutting down in frequency is "the main" goal.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Last year I got a trio of Guppies and about 30 days in my male died. The two females are still doing very well. I think I heard elsewhere that males are a bit weaker in bred strains?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts