The Planted Tank Forum banner

Red Eyed Tree Frog tank with pics

2244 5
Hi all. I am new to this forum. I just wanted to share my newly completed tank. I constructed the bottom to look like a rocky edge. There is a mini waterfall leading to a mini pond, then it spills into the main water area. The plants will come alive again and thrive, but I wondered if you had any advice on how to plant the water area. I want just a few plants (perhaps growing on wood) to put where the flat stone is and would like it to emerge, perhaps something grassy and something like an amazonian sword (mini)? I have absolutly no experience with aquatic plants to any advice and planting instruction would be very welcomed, along with general comments. THanks. :proud:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
That is really cool! For aquatic plants, Anubais would probably work. What type of lighting are you using?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is really cool! For aquatic plants, Anubais would probably work. What type of lighting are you using?
Thanks. I have a 5% uv...I can add another. I have to be careful with lighting, but the plants I have in there grow really well under these conditions...I dont actually know anything about aquatic plants, and that includes substrate and how to plant...but it does need to be removable, so in baskets or pots or whatever, so I can do water changes with ease. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Anubias' need to be attatched to rocks and driftwood, it is also a low light, easy to care for plant. I think it will grow with the lighting that you have.
Jake

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I could attach it to a peice of mopani wood or similar? How would I go about that? Also, will it grow up and out of the water cause the water area is only a few inches deep.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Yep, you can attatch it to driftwood. I use cotton thread to tie it to slatr, untill it attatchs itself. But others use sometype of glue, (I forgot what kind though.) As long as the anubias leaves do not dry out, they can be grown out of water. Does the water fall "splashy?" Also, anubias "petite" is a another option, because it is a short plant.
Jake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.