The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 65g moderately planted tank that's been running for about 2 months or so. Currently, I have 6 Cory Cats, 9 Neon Tetras, 1 Betta, and 9 Red-Eye tetras.

All of the fish are pretty happy with each other, except the Red-Eyes keep nipping at each other. At first, I only had 6 of them. They would stay in the corner and nip each other. Now, I added 3 more, and they still seem to be fighting with each other only and now they swim extremely fast throughout the tank whenever they start chasing each other.

I don't know if this is normal Red-Eye tetra behaviour. My neons never act like that. I bought them because they were supposedly peaceful fish, which is what I'm aiming for in my tank. Can someone tell me if my Red-Eyes are alright?

Question Number 2: Am I overstocking my tank? Do I still have space to add more fish?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not all "community" fish can be kept with one another. I have not personally kept Redeye's, however if they are stressing out the other tank inhabitants you should consider breaking up the current stock.

In regards to stocking I would say that you currently have about half of the bioload that a 65 gallon could reasonably support. More information is needed regarding filtration, your water change schedule, etc. for a more precise answer.

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
Red Eye Tetras are high energy fish that will spar among themselves, chase each other, etc-- they are an active tetra whose energy should be considered when choosing tank-mates.
They are not being "aggressive"- it is their nature.

You are certainly not overstocked.
What species of corydoras do you have? A small medium or large corydoras species? You would definitely want to add more corydoras as they are comfortable in large groups.
If you want the neon's to be more comfortable, I would add significantly to their number. You could add another 24 neons and still not be overstocked and, most importantly, at the higher numbers, the neons would feel much more comfortable with the active nature of the Red Eye's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts