The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So that is good then right? I got these guys when they were really little and they were from a friend so didn't have to buy them. Got a lot of them now and probably will sell once I get a bigger colony. I need to read up some more on the grading system always confuses me lol.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
the white is USA "white", not rest of the world white.

we are far behind the times with shrimp quality.

this is a top notch white. this is what we should be focusing on. thick solid white > grade.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
There is no market for that kind of shrimp in the USA. People here buy dogs as pets, not shrimp. In japan where your house is 400sq ft and having a dog isn't very practical in such tight quarters and no backyard, a nano tank with shrimp is a very practical pet. Instead of spending thousands on a dog like we do in the USA, their pet money is used for shrimp.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I agree with duke. There's no practical market in the us for them. 90 percent of America would take a dog or a cat over the aquaria hobby and trade.
So you have about a ten percent market of millions of people in the us.
Granted that's still a lot. I would say maybe a good 2-5 percent of that ten are even remotely interested in shrimp. Even less willing to spend money to get higher grades imported and breed them themselves.

That being said that is a beautiful shrimp.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
I dont necessarily agree with that.

I think its because to us its a relatively new hobby and does not get lots of exposure.
Also US buyers are very uneducated about quality shrimp. for the last few years all we've cared about is grade and not quality.

We dont have a heavy number of breeders working hard to produce beautiful shrimp. there are maybe a handful in the US and most like me just import as a side business.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I dont necessarily agree with that.

I think its because to us its a relatively new hobby and does not get lots of exposure.
Also US buyers are very uneducated about quality shrimp. for the last few years all we've cared about is grade and not quality.

We dont have a heavy number of breeders working hard to produce beautiful shrimp. there are maybe a handful in the US and most like me just import as a side business.
how many americans do you know that have thousands in disposable income to use on anything, let alone a shrimp. if there was a market for it, many people would be breeding these here as well. its like soccer, in the rest of the world its huge, draws tons of people, huge endorsement deals for players.. huge contracts. but its just not something that will ever be big in the USA. No matter how much money is put into promoting it. 99% of all americans would take tickets to a mlb or nfl game over soccer. its just the way it is. Americans wont pay $100 + for a shrimp. We both know this

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
now maybe if you can get a few famous rappers to wear a Lowkeys snap back, and benibachi t-shirts, a ruby encrusted crs on their grill.. maybe the tide would change a little.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
now maybe if you can get a few famous rappers to wear a Lowkeys snap back, and benibachi t-shirts, a ruby encrusted crs on their grill.. maybe the tide would change a little.
hahaha touche!

I dont mean to be competitive or whatever about it. I just have high hopes for this wonderful hobby we both have a great passion for.

:grouphug: lets work at growing together!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
how many americans do you know that have thousands in disposable income to use on anything, let alone a shrimp. if there was a market for it, many people would be breeding these here as well. its like soccer, in the rest of the world its huge, draws tons of people, huge endorsement deals for players.. huge contracts. but its just not something that will ever be big in the USA. No matter how much money is put into promoting it. 99% of all americans would take tickets to a mlb or nfl game over soccer. its just the way it is. Americans wont pay $100 + for a shrimp. We both know this
I couldn't agree more. To put it simply...as much as like shrimp and rare plants, fish etc....with how much these shrimp cost, I could be saving that money to put my children through college someday. So you see the decision is very simple lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is no market for that kind of shrimp in the USA. People here buy dogs as pets, not shrimp. In japan where your house is 400sq ft and having a dog isn't very practical in such tight quarters and no backyard, a nano tank with shrimp is a very practical pet. Instead of spending thousands on a dog like we do in the USA, their pet money is used for shrimp.
I disagree with you on this.
If my dog gets sick, there's always a pet hospital around the corner to bring it to. And beside some terminal illness, the dog will get treated and come home after.
If my shrimps, no matter how hardy they are, get sick, there's no shrimp hospital for me to take it in. And beside the availability of the professional treatments, most shrimps when get sick, die within hours, not days.
I love to have the best looking shrimps in my best looking tank, but have no gut to spend $100s for a single shrimp with no certain that it will survive the next day.
Call me stupid, but I have spent countless of hours to learn and still not good enough to know why my shrimps die or what's the cause of their illness.
My last dog had lived with us for over 16 years. I don't recall to have my shrimps live for half that long.
Just want to bring up a point. Hope to offense nobody.
Peace to all.
SM

·
Registered
704 Posts
+1 Steakman.

I do agree with you about your thoughts. As personally, I rather spend thousand to get a pretty dog as a pet and for sure I will know that pet it will live with me for at least couple years with all the correct medicines/pet hospital ready for that dog. However, I dont think people willing to spend a hundred or even near thousand for just one shrimp. Why? Because it is too easy to die if you make just one mistake about the tank. I am not sure what are the true percentage people in Japan willing to spend that much money for their shrimp, but maybe for a good fish or other pets. Otherwise only happen on the rich people over there.

Again, everyone is want to have a nice looking/rare shrimps but it is all have to depend money in our pocket. I dont mind spend some money for nice shrimp but if spend hundreds of dollar for one shrimp. I need to ask myself does it really worth it?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I disagree with you on this.
If my dog gets sick, there's always a pet hospital around the corner to bring it to. And beside some terminal illness, the dog will get treated and come home after.
If my shrimps, no matter how hardy they are, get sick, there's no shrimp hospital for me to take it in. And beside the availability of the professional treatments, most shrimps when get sick, die within hours, not days.
I love to have the best looking shrimps in my best looking tank, but have no gut to spend $100s for a single shrimp with no certain that it will survive the next day.
Call me stupid, but I have spent countless of hours to learn and still not good enough to know why my shrimps die or what's the cause of their illness.
My last dog had lived with us for over 16 years. I don't recall to have my shrimps live for half that long.
Just want to bring up a point. Hope to offense nobody.
Peace to all.
SM
Shrimp still get sick and die in Japan and Taiwan and Germany just like they do in the USA. They still only live 2 ish years just like shrimp in the USA. There are no magical shrimp doctors there either. They are all taking risks too.. But in those countries there is a market for high end shrimp, so the risk could be worth the reward. Sbarbee has been trying to get a group buy for prl on this site for a month now, I'd assume these shrimp fit into the 100$ range we are speaking of, and he can't even squeeze 10 total high end shrimp out of this forums members.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
+1 Steakman.

I do agree with you about your thoughts. As personally, I rather spend thousand to get a pretty dog as a pet and for sure I will know that pet it will live with me for at least couple years with all the correct medicines/pet hospital ready for that dog. However, I dont think people willing to spend a hundred or even near thousand for just one shrimp. Why? Because it is too easy to die if you make just one mistake about the tank. I am not sure what are the true percentage people in Japan willing to spend that much money for their shrimp, but maybe for a good fish or other pets. Otherwise only happen on the rich people over there.

Again, everyone is want to have a nice looking/rare shrimps but it is all have to depend money in our pocket. I dont mind spend some money for nice shrimp but if spend hundreds of dollar for one shrimp. I need to ask myself does it really worth it?
Not many people realize just how different it is in some parts of Asia and especially Japan. My girlfriend has been to Japan many times as she taught English there for a while. She said in some parts it's literally like being on another planet. Some of the people in the smaller villages can't stop staring because they literally have never seen a white person in their life. They run up and want to get pictures with you just because you're not Asian. Unlike the United States there is virtually no racial diversity in Japan. It is a completely different culture over there. Some things are similar, but culturally most of the country and it's people are absolutely nothing like that in the United States, Canada and Europe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts