The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I love this site... very informative :D

This site inspired me to convert a 5 gallon quarantine tank into a nano-planted (this site, and the fact that the tank was just sitting there running all the time ;) ). It's been running for a while with two sparkling gouramis. I just have the regular hood (14 watts fl). Substrate is a mix of black sand and gravel over laterite. Plants are mostly cuttings from the main tank including E. tennellus, Rotala indica, H. difformis, java fern and one I can never remember. I'm waiting for the springtime selection of plants to make it to the lfs for some upgrades.

Anyway, I like shrimp and thought a couple/three would be nice in there with the fish. The new red cherry shrimp (Neocaridina denticulata)would be pretty striking against the black and green. Their algae eating habits would just be a bonus. Anyone have any experience with these guys? Also would they mix with Amanos? I figure someday the 5 gallon would either go into the 29 with what I have there. I've read everything I can find on the web on these guys (which isn't much yet -- AZGardens and Franks, and a thread that says they're sensitive to copper is about all I've found so far).

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just checked them out at AZgardens. Look very cool, but pricey! $6.69 each!

Sorry can't help you with experience, I seem to be quite the shrimp killer. :oops: :oops: Even grass shrimp die on me!

BTW, when i ordered from az gardens last fall, i had mixed results, and not so hot customer service.

Wrong snails, 1 plant wrong, all shrimp DOA. Took repeated calls, but eventually they gave me my money back for the stuff that was wrong/dead.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Man, I'm from Taiwan, I've never seen any red cherry shrimp in ANY stream in Taiwan. Hmm.. I should ask my dad to bring me some for graduation. No way he could sneak past customs though. 15 dollars for shrimp, and to think you can get 2 pounds of tiger shrimp at the supermarket for that amount of money. Oh well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I saw these at an LFS recently for $7.50 and didn't know what they were so didn't get them, but I think I'll try having them special order some more. I've been a little leery of the whole ship fish through the mail since none of the mail orders are nearby and I figure if the weather isn't extreme at my end, it will be at their end.

Now, do I really want to spend more then $5.00 on a shrimp :D Probably!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts