The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm shipping some red cherry shrimp and had a few questions.

When I ship them, should I be using my tank water so they aren't shocked, as opposed to putting them them in 100% new dechlorinated tap water?

Should I mix it 50-50 (tank & fresh?).

(Been reading both sides of the coin on these questions on Google).

Shipping in a breather bag. Should I Double bag?

Fill water all the way to the top or have an inch of air on the top?

Knot the bag only or double down with a rubber band?

Shipping priority mail. What box size would you go with if I'm shipping 12 of them? Thinking #4 box (7x7x6). My concern it might not be big enough for both the shrimp and styrofoam.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Please take this information with a grain of salt. I have no experience shipping shrimp!

When I ship them, should I be using my tank water so they aren't shocked, as opposed to putting them them in 100% new dechlorinated tap water?

If the dechlorinated tap water is the exact same as what's in your tank, then fresh water should be fine.

Should I mix it 50-50 (tank & fresh?).

If tap is different than tank water, go with tank water... unless of course tank water has nitrates in it, then add in some fresh water.

Shipping in a breather bag. Should I Double bag?

Single bag. They are called "breather" bags for a reason, and double bagging them could negate that effect.

Fill water all the way to the top or have an inch of air on the top?

Breather bag... fill all the way! (which you don't need to use more than perhaps half the bag full of water? maybe even 3/4 or less filled)

Knot the bag only or double down with a rubber band?

You could rubber band, twist, fold and rubber band again? I don't know best method

Shipping priority mail. What box size would you go with if I'm shipping 12 of them? Thinking #4 box (7x7x6). My concern it might not be big enough for both the shrimp and styrofoam.

Medium flat rate (top loading) box should be fine. You could always use newspaper as well? And make sure to ship juvies/young adults as opposed to full sized adults. They should acclimate better.

There's a few videos on Youtube showing how to ship shrimp. Here's one.

·
Super Moderator
15,069 Posts
Yes, use your tank water. As @Zoidburg suggests, that's probably what they're used to. Use that. Definitely don't mix water with different parameters than they're used to. I also don't ship for at least a couple days after their most recent feeding so I can try to make sure there's less chance for ammonia in the bag.

Don't double bag when using breathers. You *can* double bag and it only cuts down about 10-12% of air exchange. But it's a waste of money to double bag. Shrimp aren't strong enough to tear through and if you pack well, nothing will perforate the bag.

Be sure to include a bit of moss or something that won't foul the water. That will give shrimp something to cling to during shipment. Even a bit of filter foam works well.

Fill all the way to the top.

Tie the bag if you can. That will prevent any disaster. Rubber bands can break (I've had it happen more than once) and I think it's a shortcut that's unnecessary. Maybe use a rubberband as extra insurance if you're worried. Just takes a bit of practice to get it right. Maybe sacrifice one of your bags for a practice session if it's your first time shipping. You'll be able to tie, untie, retie, poke it, test its strength, et al. That'll give you some peace of mind.

7x7x6 boxes are fine for a small shipment of shrimp. Styro insulation panel will fit. You'll even have room to create a boundary/wall with styro so you can tape down an ice pack/Phase 22 so it doesn't hit your bag of shrimp. Anything more than the amount you're shipping? I'd go with larger - like Medium Flat Rate/Express. There are templates and measurements online (probably also here on the forum) to help guide you into cutting what you need.

If you're shipping Priority this time of year, you may want to invest in some Phase 22 packs to regulate temperature. Or overnight with a large enough ice pack to make sure your shrimp don't cook. USPS Express shipments are generally fine but they're not as reliable or guaranteed as FedEx overnight if overnight is the route you take. It's important to account for temperature control the entire time they're in transit. That includes the time they spend sitting in a non-air-conditioned USPS delivery vehicle when they reach their destination.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts