The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that the RCS are really fast and easy to bred, but would they breed in my 55gal with some fish? if not could i get a divider to seperate the fish from the shrimp until they get big enough? or any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Check around the filtration section. They might be labeled as foam and usually sold as mechanical media for filters. I used this one from an old filter. I just cut a slit in the center and pushed it on. Just make sure the foam is big enough to cover the intake holes. Other people have used pantyhose and prefilter sponges.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I heard that the RCS are really fast and easy to bred, but would they breed in my 55gal with some fish? if not could i get a divider to seperate the fish from the shrimp until they get big enough? or any other suggestions?

Thanks
My experience so far is that RCS breed like rabbits, as do tiger shrimp. I started 1-2 years ago with 12 in a 15 gal. planted tank with otos and sterbai corys. I have sold over 600 shrimp to a LFS over the last year and a half to finance my hobby. I could probably clear another 200 out today and not miss them.

You can keep them with a lot of fish, as long as the fish are small. I now keep mine with CPDs, and Pseudomugil gertrudae. As long as the fish can't fit the shrimp in their mouths, you are good to go. I occasionally toss a few into my 55 gal. tank with a pair of Bolivian Rams. They last only until the Rams notice them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well in my 55 gallon tank i have 2 great danios, 5 tiger barbs, 1 pleco, 1 kuhli loach (who wouldnt do anything to hurt them), one fiddler crab, 2 gaurami, and a couple guppies

·
Registered
385 Posts
My experience so far is that RCS breed like rabbits, as do tiger shrimp. I started 1-2 years ago with 12 in a 15 gal. planted tank with otos and sterbai corys. I have sold over 600 shrimp to a LFS over the last year and a half to finance my hobby. I could probably clear another 200 out today and not miss them.

You can keep them with a lot of fish, as long as the fish are small. I now keep mine with CPDs, and Pseudomugil gertrudae. As long as the fish can't fit the shrimp in their mouths, you are good to go. I occasionally toss a few into my 55 gal. tank with a pair of Bolivian Rams. They last only until the Rams notice them.
Not to hijack the thread, but out of curiosity how much did your LFS buy your shrimp for?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
i got $ .30 a pop for mine which they turned around and sold for almost 6 bucks a piece

shrimp seem to be a rarity here in CO so they get a decent price
Which location was that? I know Aqua imports in boulder stocks them regularly, as well as Fish Den.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i got $ .30 a pop for mine which they turned around and sold for almost 6 bucks a piece

shrimp seem to be a rarity here in CO so they get a decent price
Haha, so they mad 3420 dollars of you? I hope you really like that store, cause they made a killing!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but out of curiosity how much did your LFS buy your shrimp for?
Usually 50 cents each. They sell them for $4 each.

I don't mind the markup. They get a great product from me and I get livestock and supplies for free.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Which location was that? I know Aqua imports in boulder stocks them regularly, as well as Fish Den.
todds aquarium, south denver 225/parker area.

Ill have to check with those places you mentioned, do you know if they carry CRS? i got lucky and one of the stores down near me had two that were ordered but not picked up but im wanting more but shipping to CO this time of year can be hazardous.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
todds aquarium, south denver 225/parker area.

Ill have to check with those places you mentioned, do you know if they carry CRS? i got lucky and one of the stores down near me had two that were ordered but not picked up but im wanting more but shipping to CO this time of year can be hazardous.
Aqua imports keeps Cherry in stock, as well as Fish Den. Both can order Amano shrimp, and Aqua imports occasionally has other species of dwarf shrimp. I know they said at one point that they can get the crystal Reds if I wanted to give them a go. Neptune's also has some Cherry shrimp in stock, I did not however ask about other species.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.