The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly learning how to shoot macro photography, so these pictures definitely aren't the quality I want. Once I get a nice macro lens, and after I learn what I am doing with this camera, the pictures will look great.

Rotala Wallichii (add lots of iron and phosphate to get nice colors)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice pics compared to my expensive but ghetto sony point and click

what camera did you use
I am using the Canon EOS 10D. The lens is the "L" 70-200mm lens with the macro filter attached. I am going to get the real deal, a 100mm 2.8f macro, instead of using these macro filters. Using the macro filters on the 70-200 is like putting a microscope on the Hubble, very little room for error and not good quality at all.

Ryan

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am using the Canon EOS 10D. The lens is the "L" 70-200mm lens with the macro filter attached. I am going to get the real deal, a 100mm 2.8f macro, instead of using these macro filters. Using the macro filters on the 70-200 is like putting a microscope on the Hubble, very little room for error and not good quality at all.

Ryan
did you try using the filters on the lens that came with the camera? the 55mm i think?? you should be able to get closer to the tank and it won't be as unsteady as the larger lens. i find it easier to use the short lens for close ups just my 2 pennies =]

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you try using the filters on the lens that came with the camera? the 55mm i think?? you should be able to get closer to the tank and it won't be as unsteady as the larger lens. i find it easier to use the short lens for close ups just my 2 pennies =]
I was thinking of doing exactly that. I am going to try it tonight and post the results... Yea using the 70-200 is totally rediculous, as I have found..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Beautiful Pictures! Can't wait for more!

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Nice pics.

I highly recommend the Nikon close-up Diopters. They have two pieces of glass and the optics are really good compared to the crap stuff out there. I got the 5T for like $30 on ebay. It is a nice cost-performance ratio. Not quite as nice as a proper macro, lens but 'good enough' for my budget.

Tripods are a must for macro.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am using a canon, and I am using the close-up filters. I most definitely use a tripod.

Yea it is simply the money that is the issue. If I had the money to drop on a lens I would already have the 100mm. I was told that if I am going to save up to get the 100mm macro I might as well save up more and get the 180mm macro which is an "L" lens.

-Ryan

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New pics. Still using the close-up lenses. I definitely am going to get a real macro lens just may take a while to save up enough. The one I want is $1,200.00 which is the Canon 180mm f/2.8 Macro "L" Lens. Anyhow, enjoy my mediocre pics....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Awhhhhhhhhh...I can see eggs!! :) hehehe Very nice rotala wallichii...beautiful sunset color. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awhhhhhhhhh...I can see eggs!! :) hehehe Very nice rotala wallichii...beautiful sunset color. :)
That is your shrimp cookie in that one picture Cristin. The shrimp love em and they seem to color up a lot better after I switched them to the cookies.

The reason why I say they are "mediocre" is because if you look at AQUASAUR's pictures as well as some others macro work you will see how awesome they are. The problem is that I am not using a macro lens, which is vital if you want to get the good shots. The good thing though is that I am sort of "training" for macro photography and will definitely appreciate the macro lens when I get it. $1200 is very expensive for such a lens but is a great investment. Canon lenses barely depreciate in value, even after many years.

-Ryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts