The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago, after a water change (10-15%), I noticed that a male red cherry shrimp (~2 cm) had turned mostly transparent. This tank has 3 other adults (all female) and ~40 juvenile shrimp (3-4 mm) and all other shrimp seem to have good coloration.

Over the last two days, that male shrimp has slowly gained a blue/purple color. I have been trying to take a photo, but he seems to flee whenever my cell phone gets close to the tank.

Any ideas what is going on?

·
Registered
346 Posts
water quality/ food items can alter the color of shrimps. Lots of people witness this. I have a 55 gal with a grass shrimp colony, all have turned from clear to blue. My tap is liquid rock, and I think that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
water quality/ food items can alter the color of shrimps. Lots of people witness this. I have a 55 gal with a grass shrimp colony, all have turned from clear to blue. My tap is liquid rock, and I think that has something to do with it.
Thanks for the information. I am new to shrimp keeping and found it odd that only one shrimp changed color. Otherwise, they don't seem stressed or the like.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Picked up multiple shrimp from a local breeder. Had a few males turn blue-ish in coloration probably from the stress of being captured and put into a bag and remain that way for a little while before returning to clear or clear with red coloration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.