The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already setup a shrimp tank with active substrate and plants.Now I am just waiting for the tank to fully cycle.But I have noticed my tank temperature in the morning is 29 celsius and in the afternoon it is 32-34 celcius.. and... is cherry shrimp survive and most importantly breed in this type of environment ? ph is around 6.2

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Active substrates that buffer water in the acidic range (low pH like you have) are better suited for soft, acidic water Caridina shrimp such as Crystal Red Shrimp (CRS).

Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) are Neocaridinas and they prefer a more alkaline/higher pH and cooler temperature (69-74*F)
Here is a general water care spec for them (scroll to the bottom)
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee
PH: 6.4–7.6, KH: 2–5, GH: 6–8
TDS: 80 – 200 Water temp: 69-74F (20-23*C)

Note the other water parameters such as KH, GH and even TDS as they are also important factors in keeping shrimp/fish healthy. Way too low or way too high GH can kill shrimp. KH is also very important.

Cherry shrimp are hardy and can adapt to a wide range of water parameters, so they can live and possibly breed in lower acidic pH, but they do better and breed more in slightly higher alkaline pH.
Water temperature however, that 84-93*F (29-34*C) is really pushing it. 84*F they can tolerate and still breed, but over 88-90*F is really not good for them. I really doubt they would do well at those high temperatures. You may notice them become very sluggish and inactive, too high for comfort and they certainly wouldn't breed, and around 90*F+ they can end up dying (maybe not right away.

The more out of preference the water parameters are, the more stress load on the shrimp/fish and the less likely they are to do well and/or breed. So too warm water along with a lower than preferred pH, can cause the shrimp to not feel happy enough to breed.

If you don't have acidic water Caridina shrimp or fish in the tank, there is no real need for an active substrate. Would be better not having that active substrate in there, assuming your water would normally be closer to neutral or slightly alkaline (7-7.6 pH).

Where do you live to better know your air temperature?
Is there direct sunlight beaming down on the tank? If so, block out the light so it doesn't bake/cook/heat up the tank.
No heater in there right?
How many gallon tank?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts