The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I need some advice on my red cherry shrimp tank. My RCS and Malaysian Trumpet snails are dying. They are housed in a Fluval Ebi (7.7 gallons).
The water parameters are:
GH 180
KH 80
Ph 7.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia .25
I know the ammonia level is elevated because it should be 0, but would .25 ammonia level kill off RCS and MTS? I don't know if that is the problem or maybe something else. Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Then I'd say its not fully cycled............
What substrate are you using?
I believe this may be the cause as well. Generally MTS and RCS have very low bioloads so you don't need to wait for a tank to be fully cycled if you ONLY have those inverts in the tank. However, did you put any preexisting cycled plants or filter mulm into that tank? Or was that your first tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using the substrate that came with the fluval kit. It is specialized for shrimp.
There are plants in the tank from an existing tank and about 1/4 of the water was old cycles water, the rest was new tap water. The temp is 74f.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's the filter that winds up being cycled rather than the water. Since the bacteria that cycle ammonia live in films on surfaces, using existing tank water isn't particularly useful (though probably more effective than tap water.) Usually starting with a reasonably planted tank will help avoid these problems, but if both snails and shrimp are dying, it's apparently not helping enough.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
And with snails dying in the substrate (MTS), it's not helping anything either.

A very small amount of ammonia can kill shrimp, and a tank that has been setup only 2 weeks, should not have shrimp in it. It's too soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.