The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No idea why some of my RCS are dying. I started out with 12 juvenile RCS and 2 full grown female adults about 2 months ago. They were doing fine the first 4 weeks, no deaths, proper molting on the juveniles. Week 5, I saw my first dead juvenile, no idea why it died. Week 6, I bought 20 more RCS juveniles off aquabid and added them into my tank.

At this point it was too difficult to keep track of all the juveniles since they kept moving, I was only able to count the full adults since they're big and I only have two of them. Anyways, I've been monitoring my tank and from the rough count I could do, it was obvious my juvenile shrimp population was dwindling.

There were no bodies to be found because my Mystery Snail was cleaning them. Anyways, woke up this morning and found one of the adult shrimp being devoured by my Mystery Snail and another dead juvenile.

My mystery snail loves to climb the tank and jump off so I was thinking it was killing my shrimp during the night landing on them or landing on on the cholla wood which the shrimp like to go under sometimes. I took out the snail and put it in a separate tank just incase that was the cause of all these deaths. Even if the snail isn't cause, I figure at least I'll be able to find the dead bodies before they get eaten.

The juveniles that are still alive have grown well, and should be at the breeding stage soon if they still survive. They came to me around the 3/8 inch size, and now they're about 3/4 inch.

10 Gallon
Distilled Water remineralized with Salty Shrimp GH/KH+
gH: 8
kH: 3
pH: 7.6
TDS: 200-210
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
Temp: 74
Eco-Complete Substrate
Java Moss, Driftwood, Amazon Swords, Crypts, Various Anubias.

EDIT: I have a shipment of 8 RCS arriving later this week with a berried female, and if I still keep seeing shrimp deaths or don't see my population growing in the next month or two which is when my juveniles should be reaching breeding age, I'm going re-do my entire tank with a different substrate and just java moss/cholla wood after all the shrimp die off. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and I'll start seeing the population grow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.