The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've have a few(4-5) cherry shrimp die on me lately, and I'm not really sure why. I think it may be a molting issue as I have not seen an exoskeleton in a while. Tank is a well planted Spec V with a Finnex 24/7 and pressurized CO2. It's been running for 2 years now, no issues.
Weekly 50% water changes with dry ferts, water parameters are as follows: temp 76°, GH 9°, KH 5°, pH 6.6, NH3/NO2 0, NO3 10ppm, PO4 2ppm.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
50% water changes are rather high.

Have there been any changes recently? Any indications of why they died? Such as failed molting? Old? Young?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing that I can think of, other than not really seeing any shells from molts in a while.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've have a few(4-5) cherry shrimp die on me lately, and I'm not really sure why. I think it may be a molting issue as I have not seen an exoskeleton in a while. Tank is a well planted Spec V with a Finnex 24/7 and pressurized CO2. It's been running for 2 years now, no issues.
Weekly 50% water changes with dry ferts, water parameters are as follows: temp 76°, GH 9°, KH 5°, pH 6.6, NH3/NO2 0, NO3 10ppm, PO4 2ppm.

Thoughts?
Don't change shrimps water this quick. Change 20 to 30 percent once a month. Also your GH is way to high. I believe they die because of molting issues.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Target GH for Cherries? Confirmed molting issues

I'm pretty sure it's a molting issue as well. Found this shrimp struggling on his back. The exoskeleton looks split. An earlier shrimp that died acted frozen/paralyzed before dying.

View attachment 828113

What should my target GH be? I thought cherries were pretty forgiving in their water parameters. Why, after 2 years am I starting to see these issues?

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I've heard of cherries being kept in water with a GH higher than 20...... so I'm not going to say the GH is too high.

Any changes in diet?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Have they been in your tank for a while? Shrimp don't really live that long, maybe it was their time. Also there could have been a mini-cycle going on in your tank for whatever reason, it's one of those transient things that happens without any warning sometimes.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shrimp have a mixed range of ages, but so have definitely been younger. They last one was maybe 8 months old, born in the tank.

I have been looking into diet. I feed Omaga One Shrimp pellets every other day. I've been reading too high of protein content in their food can mess with molting. So, I just got some Bacter-AE to start feeding. We'll see if I get any improvement. I'd like to see a molt to confirm.

I also have Tiger Shrimp in this tank. Thoughts on adjusting parameters to meet their needs as well?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Have you double checked the source water readings - just in case there has been any change there.

Maybe add some polyfilter or similar for a little while in case it's trace of something e.g. copper. Although you wouldn't have thought that would be an issue with big water changes ... unless the source water has changed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did not know polyfilter removed Cu, I will pick some up and run it for a while. If anything, just to reset the system. I purchased a TDS meter, but no additional causation found. TDS was 240-250, pretty normal/spot on.

It must be a diet issue then right? My plan is to feed Bacter AE every other day and Omega One shrimp pellets once a week, seem good?

Also, how often to shrimp molt? I've never really paid that much attention, so idk how long I should be waiting to see a molt.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Omega One Shrimp Pellets are for fish, not shrimp... so that could be a potential issue as well. The first 4 ingredients are animal protein. Shrimp would do best on a vegetable based diet.. so I don't feel like adding Bacter AE into the diet is going to do any good unless you switch over to a different food.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To clarify, it's the Omega One Shrimp & Lobster pellets, but the ingredients are similar...

Shrimp are multi-generational, so I don't have an exact date for each shrimp. The range is 3 months - almost 2 years.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I guess it's possible the ones that have died were the older ones...2 years is about the lifespan. I agree with the above...50% WC weekly is a bit much but I assume it's because of EI dosing? But if it's been working for you for the last 2 years...then it might not be the issue. I also don't believe the GH is too high. My tank is GH 8 and I don't have any issues with bad molts. Are you using RO or tap? I suppose if you wanted to rule out the GH as being the issue you could drop it down to around GH 6 or 7.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had most of the Yellow adult neos die off recently all showing that band in your photo. Seems like all the rest of my shrimps (which are juvie to hatchlings) are all okay. There seem to be some amount of people who experienced this "white band of death" which results in almost certain death usually, though I couldn't find any reasoning for it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've had most of the Yellow adult neos die off recently all showing that band in your photo. Seems like all the rest of my shrimps (which are juvie to hatchlings) are all okay. There seem to be some amount of people who experienced this "white band of death" which results in almost certain death usually, though I couldn't find any reasoning for it.
I believe the white band of death is a failed molt. I find that large water changes are prone to causing them to molt early? Young shrimp have a much easier time with molts. EI is a little different but I try to do lots of small water changes if I have to change their water more than usual for some reaso. Or possibly making the water siphon back into the tank real slow might help if you must do 50% (like drip acclimation?)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts