The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as though none of the RCS get big and red in my 20 gallon planted tank and I have no idea as to why. In my 30 and 5 unplanted they get much bigger and the females develope bright red colors, but I only put a handful of them in the other tanks. It's very strange, any ideas as to what may be causing this stunt?

·
Registered
207 Posts
My shrimps are not very big or red IMO, but they keep multiplying. Assuming they will regulate themselves at some point. :eek:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Well the females get bigger and redder than the males do. Maybe they are all males in the 20?

Unsure which tanks had less shrimp vs the size of the tank, maybe the bigger tank, in-relation to size of RCS amount, the more microorganisms and algae available to feast on.

Feeding enough for all the shrimp to get enough nutrition to grow at a healthy rate?

I'm assuming the temp and water parameters are the same in all tanks. And I assume all the RCS are from the some strain/bloodline, so the ones in the 20 shouldn't be lower grade (color-wise)

Any stress factors you can think of that may be causing an impact?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll test the tds later.
I got them in a pack of 20 online about a year ago. The temp is higher in the 20 gallon, colder in the 30, will have to check the 5 but I think it's colder. There are only 3 in the 5, 8 in the 30 and maybe 40 in the 20.
They breed all the time in the 20 so I have to assume they're okay. So it could be temp or food supply I guess? I'm pretty sure not all 40 shrimp are males lol.

The temperature is about 76 in the 30 and 5 and its 80 in the 20, so I guess that could be a factor but would it really be that drastic? The 20 is the only one with live plants, so they get fertilizers and have the plant light.
The others, hmm... Well the 30 had a malachite blue treatment with one of the shrimp in there and she somehow survived and is giant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.