The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Red Cherry Shrimp is one of the most hardy and easiest to breed of dwarf shrimps....I started keeping them about four months ago,and they bred quite readily in aquariums without predators and with clean water..mine bred about 3-5weeks after i got them...and now i already have a whole lot of nice coloured RCS.
Info about RCS:

Species name:Red cherry shrimp(Neocaridina Heteropoda)
pH range is about 6-8
Temperature range is 65F-85F
Hardness range3-15dkh
Life span is about 1-2years
size is just up to 2inches max.

but Here is what has worked for me

1>Tank size should be about 5gallon(MINIMUM)
2>my temp is about 78-80F
3>moderate water hardiness
4>sponge filters are best for breeding,mine is just a plain old hang filter with a sponge blocking the hole
5>live plants are best to maintain water quality and let the shrimp have a little snack on once in awhile
6>my pH is about 7
7>i do about 50%water changes each week
8>DO NOT use any fertelizer that has anything that will kill the shrimp(and food also)
9>i fees them foos with some algae and vegetables and meat aswell
i think that about it...

OH! and also,if youre buying a RCS from the store and they say its a super red,dont believe them,there is no super red RCS,its just an old shrimp,so if youre buying a super red RCS,youre buying an old RCS

and lastly,i did abit of an experiment on my RCS,it seems that when i on bright light,the shrimps colour wont be as red,but when i turn off or just give it a LITTLE lighting,they will look as red and beautiful as ever..maybe you guys should try it...it works for my RCS :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Great article! I've been wanting to set up a tank devoted to only RCS and a handful of some boraras sp. but money and time are both low right now. Hopefully soon, and when I do, I'll come back to this thread for help!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha,thx alot SearunSimpson,that meant alot..oh,and btw,you see the pictures that i have up there,first is with bright light and you can see that the RCS and not as red as the ones is the 3rd and 4th picture....thats what i meant by the last paragraph in my article...and the 2nd pic is just 1 of the baby RCS ^^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.