The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My first post here. Might as well do a little introduction before I get started. My name is Jonathan and I'm a 13 year old boy from Orlando, FL. My main hobby is fishkeeping, well anything to do with fish/inverts really. I mainly keep native fish, such as bluegill, bass, sunfish, various minnows, and catfish. Anyways, I'm finally taking a dive into live plants. Which is something I've never really done before. And what's a better way to do that than start a simple planted shrimp tank? Here's what's happening so far.

After pondering about the idea of breeding rcs for the past year. I finally figured, what the heck. And convinced my parents to buy my first batch off aquabid. My dad just emailed the dude, so technically I haven't purchased them yet. But they should ship next Monday. I plan to put them in my 10 gallon. I've had it setup for about 5 weeks now. There's some driftwood, a rock, broken pieces of terracota pots, and a small but fast growing bunch of floating anacharis. Sand for subsrate. I have a HOB filter on, but with a sponge rubberbanned to the filter intake. A few rosey reds have been in the tank. Everything checks out, but my water is a bit hard. (8.2) Mostly cause I live in Florida, but I'm hoping the driftwood will bring it down. The foods I plan to feed them: Hikari Algae Wafers-Tetramin Tropical Fish Flakes-Frozen brine-various blanched veggies-Sinking African cichlid pellets-Shrimp pellets. Is all that good? I just need several opinions/experiences other people have had with breeding rcs. I plan to breed them for fun and just to make a few bucks. Maybe feeders too. Thanks, Jon.

Sorry it's so long, but I'll appreciate any help.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Know of any good way to lower it?
Also, what are some of your experiences with RCS?
I'll most likely be getting them sometime on Thursday.
Along with a few adults. How long should I expect to wait until I see some breeding activity?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
they should be berried after about 6 weeks... i have had pretty good look reproducing them with alot of live plants like java moss, gave them alot of places to hide... I would go sans fish in this tank though... As far as ph i would use seachem neutral regulator to get to about 7.4 the driftwood will help, as would peat granuals in the filter...

F

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.